Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus net seem to be capping me at a lower speed

warpkid
Grafter

Plus net seem to be capping me at a lower speed

Hey all
I noticed a few months ago that at random times of day my speed would spike from 40 down to 60 down
All estimations put my line speed at 60 and I am in the most expensive package.
However I think I am one of the packages that is no longer available so perhaps that's where things have gotten confused.
This days my speed will ceiling at 40 down even though I am paying for 60.
Could any technical plus net bods take a look at my profile and make sure I'm getting the package im paying for?Huh
Thanks
Sergio
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plus net seem to be capping me at a lower speed

Please report the results of a BT Speedtest - Further Diagnostics and Current Line Speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
warpkid
Grafter

Estimated line speed:
69Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-01-04 17:57:33
Current line speed:
73.4 Mb
warpkid
Grafter

Hmm, the BT Wholsesale Speed Test is giving me a download rating of 67Mbps - which is great.
Just odd that no other tool gives me anywhere near that - speedtest.net etc.
Oh well - guess everything is OK?
Apologies
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's what the BTw speedtest further diagnostics says your IP Profile is that's important in the first instance.
sjptd
Grafter

I find the Thinkbroadband/TTB test the most reliable at the moment.  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
When there are issues you may find that it's first result (TBBx1) is low, but that the HTTPx6 test gives a good rate.
The issues could be on PlusNet side: there certainly seem to be some due to congestion or similar for some people in the evenings these days.
The issues could be on your side.  For example, I had a curious incompatibility between my BT HH3 router and a cheap gigabit switch. 
A connection HH3 gigabit port<->switch<->computer gave 15Mbps (if I remember right) TBBx1 test and 65Mbps HTTPx6  (I was on Infinity 2 at the time).
I got full speed on both tests for any other configuration:  HH3 fast ethernet port<->switch<->computer;  HH3 gigabit port<->computer, etc
I can't remember now the effect this had on the results of other speedtests.
Anotherone
Champion

I'd suggest that any issue is much more likely to be cab/exchange/svlan related rather than Plusnet.
http://community.plus.net/?s=exchange&x=9&y=9 maybe worth a check. The page layout may not display well and ignore the date at the top (page creation date) the data is updated regularly.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there.
I've run a few tests on your line and can't see any issues with your connection.
There's no capacity issues at your exchange from what we can see either.
Were you running these tests over a wired connection?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Matthew
Were you running these tests over a wired connection?

Woops, at least two of us here forgot to ask that question  Embarrassed