Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus One router information

theopapa32
Hooked

Plus One router information

Hi guys,

I just wanted to see if anyone could answer this question for me as it's been troubling me for a while.

I'm an ex-BT Customer and was using the Hub 5 router with them, which is literally identical to the hub one, except colour and firmware. This comes as no surprise as they are the parent company. While being with them, and now with Plusnet, both routers use dual band technology which is meant to automatically scan and switch the channel to receive optimum performance. However, neither with these routers have i found that to be the case. I literally open a wifi analyzer in each room i'm in to automatically tune my speeds and that's getting a little annoying, but from my research, it's the best way to receive the best out of these both routers. I have split the frequencies, but again on both signals, i'm having to make manual adjustments. Can anyone confirm with me if they're having the same issue and what they do to overcome it? Or if there is any recommended router compatible with Plusnet that does this better?

4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Plus One router information

I think a wireless router will generally only be able to automatically select a channel based on what signals it can detect at its own location, this may not be the same as what a different device in a different location can detect.

Most wifi analyzer apps can only show a limited amount of information. They show the channel and strength of the signals from other wireless routers, but they don't show how heavily used any particular network is, so they can't really show which channel will be best.

What actual problems are you experiencing?

theopapa32
Hooked

Hi, 

thanks for getting back to me.

Thank you for the information, and that does make a lot of sense. My speed isn't too bad on a whole, but for my fibre to work well, i literally need to change the wireless channels each time i go in to a different room.

Living room: Channel 1 (2.4ghz) Channel 36 (5ghz) 

Bedroom Channel 2 (2.4 ghz) Channel 44(5ghz)

and say i leave the room and go back in after a few hours, i may need to change the channel again, It's just a little annoying to keep logging in and changing it, i really do find the automatic setting just doesn't work well.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

What I meant was, why do you need to change the channel?

On the 2.4 GHz band, you should stick to non-overlapping channels, usually that means only using channels 1, 6 or 11. It's better to be on the same channel as other networks rather than partly overlap.

It sounds like the only solution will be replacing the Hub One with another router or getting extra wireless access points (or even wireless repeaters).

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Also, if the received signal strength is less than about -60 dBm, then the problem is simply that the signal is not strong enough, and no amount of channel changing will solve that. The strength of the signals transmitted from your router will be much the same whichever channel you select.