Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please reset my DLM

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Please reset my DLM

My Speed has been falling over the last fortnight, I had  noise on the line but your tests said otherwise, today the quiet line test is silent but speed has finally dropped to just above my minimum. I can't see what my profile is set at because the new fangled BTW Performance Tester seems to be broken, shining new and useless.

For Many months I had a steady 50Mbps Down speed, it dropped suddenly about 4 weeks ago to 45Mbps and has seemingly overnight dropped to about 42Mbps. All readings at the PC, actual might be 2Mbps higher. I have noticed that my connection has been changed a couple of times at night around 02.00 by I assume yourselves. 

7 REPLIES 7
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Re: Please reset my DLM

Hi there @danludlow, Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

DLM is not ISP controlled on Fibre never has been never will be, it's fully automated it chooses what it wants to do and if it thinks your line is poor enough to drop the speed it will do so, Only Openreach themselves can do anything with DLM and even then it's after a fault is repaired or of the line is banded.

That makes your point about Plusnet changing your speeds at 2 in the morning way off the mark, for a start no one would be around to make that change even if they could.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

So how do you account for a break in service shown on the router Log during the small hours at a time when nobody is awake and my server moving from Sheffield to London or vice Versa?

Also about 6 months ago Plusnet told me they'd asked for a DLM reset on my line and that it would normally take 24 hours to action. "if not reset in 48 hours contact me again".

Seems someone is being economical with the truth if you're correct, I'm thinking. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@danludlow 

My understanding is that Plusnet can ask Openreach to reset your DLM only if the line has been banded.

After your night time drop out I assume that when your service started again it picked up a different IP address. If you checked this against an IP geolocation database then you should be aware that these are hopelessly inaccurate and that is more than likely why you think that your server changed location.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

You Could well be right @Baldrick1 I am no expert and see things which puzzle.

My Speed dropped yet again yesterday and is arguably at or below my minimum expected speed.  Several weeks at over 50Mbps, then a drop of 5Mbps followed by further drops over the last week or so looks like something amiss. I have been with PlusNet since way back and with FTTC since it was available here. Throughout that period I have seen reasonable speeds initially that sit there for often months and then start to decay, almost as if on cue.

A service should surely continue to be stable day after day and only change when there is intervention of some kind?

Is it that somebody (Openreach) are reallocating bandwidth to overcome a bottleneck rather than add resources?

I fear losing Broadband every time I see it slow (very very do I see speeds increase). If PlusNet offered FTTP with the increased speed and reliability I would I think upgrade, even if the initial cost was substantial. Having reliable Broadband is a must, having faster Broadband is a desire. 

JJmcneil
Grafter

perhaps there is a reason for it disconnecting and the DLM taking action. there may be another fault on your line that is causing that to happen.  has plusnet, or have you asked plusnet to investigate?  i doubt plusnet are restricting the usage to you.

if you say there is noise on the line and now there isnt, then perhaps you have an intermittant fault somewhere.  there tests might not show that. 

there could be an issue with your router, or your line.  are you rebooting the router often? 

(caveat - im not with plusnet any more, because of my own problems with them)

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Hi @tinytaco Speed continues to fall, a BTW test today shows me connected below my minimum speed and my Profile (only a few weeks ago above 50Mbps now reduced to 42Mbps, which it isn't currently achieving. Attempting to raise a ticket finds your online service closed down temporarily due to covid-19 restrictions and despite the lockdown your phone taking too long to be answered.

Why not introduce Email or and online form for reporting a fault?

I attach the results of my recent BTW Performance Test (Which itself looks to be in need of an Engineer visit) and await your reply with interest. At least can you check my line please?