Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please look in to my historically dodgy line

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Please look in to my historically dodgy line

It is playing up again. I was getting drops fairly regularly but it seemed better the last few days. I then just noticed it had only synched around 12/12 - can't remember exactly but that might explain why it has been stable. speed test showed upstream faster than downstream. Rebooted router and now synched at 53/17 but d/l speed only around 10 and u/l around 15!

No idea what is going on. My setup has not changed. HH6 into master socket. Master socket replaced and upgraded at last engineer vist.

Help please.

PT

15 REPLIES 15
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Please look in to my historically dodgy line

Thanks for your post @PhyllisTyne 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems.

Looking into this, the good news is that this is an easy fix. As a result of the drops you've had previously this had dropped your sync speed to around 10mbps and the profile on your account along with it.

When your connection stabilised and your sync speed went back up, the profile didn't and I'd suspect this is restricting your speeds. I've increased this profile now, can you reboot your router and then retest your speed?

Let us know how you get on. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

cheers @Gandalf 

Rebooted. Synch at 53/17 and speeds at 47/16. Not the best ever but much more like it.

My concern now is what caused the drops in the first place 😭

I have the familiar sinking feeling about going through the turmoil of experiencing and sorting out connection drops!

Lets hope I'm wrong. Presume the line looks ok from your end?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah it's a bit of a mystery as to what caused the drops because line tests are all passing now.

Having said that, looking at the Reactive Repair Tool(RRT) data with @MatthewWheeler it's showing a potential line fault but as the GEA Service Test isn't showing any issues, we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

Could you report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net and post back afterwards? We'll then arrange the engineer with you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Will do thanks

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Done

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Smiley

[edit]

Looks like our posts crossed, I can't see a raised fault though. Did you complete the troubleshooter?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Hi @Gandalf 

sorry, I missed this. I only came back to find out why I hadn't heard anything. I went to the link you gave and gave the information it asked for and it said that my fault had been reported but it did not take me through the usual troubleshooting screens. I will do it again.

PT

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Done, 

was presented with troubleshooter this time.

PT

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Line does sound noisy on QLT but I only have a cordless phone so can't be sure its the line although I have not heard it this noisy before.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @PhyllisTyne No problem, I've just progressed the fault now and added a reply to your fault ticket you'll be able to view and respond to by going Here. Once you've responded I'll book the engineer in as soon as I can. Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Anoush @Gandalf 

Done

PT

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, I'll pick it up shortly.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Hi @Gandalf 

Well that was efficient service thanks. Engineer arrived at 8am and spent an hour here.

Bad news was no line fault on testing and said it might be all my devices using all the bandwidth causing the line to drop. Can't say I buy that and have never heard of it before and I don't use any more bandwith since the recent drops than I have before. Is this anything you have heard of?

He aslo thought a powerline adaptor might be to blame as these have been known to cause problems. However, although still plugged in no devices use the connection any more. It has been there for 3 years or more without issue. It is now disconnected just in case.

I did tell him that previously an error showed at 6M from the property and he did go and check a connection box in the street but that returned no errors.

To be fair to the guy he did say he would just go and re-check the connection coming into the house which has been a source of problems in the past due to a corroding connection. This resulted in him discovering that the connection is corroding again and he felt might be the cause of the intermittent problem when it gets damp and/or cold (the weather has been grim on occasions over last couple of weeks). He replaced the connection. The junction box is was of a type that is prone to letting in damp and previous engineers have coated it in silicon. He has now replaced it with a newer, more resiliant box.

Hopefully that has sorted it and the connection speed wil now creep back up to its heyday. It is don a bit at 50/14 now.

I will just keep praying that fibre to premises comes soon as this should sort the line out once and for all. Unfortunately our village just missed out in a recent announcement as most of the areas around us are now getting it.

Thanks again for your help.

PT

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @PhyllisTyne thanks for the overview,

Apart from causing a slow throughput I wouldn't have thought that using your broadband connection to cause the line to physically drop, although if it does that may point to a fault somewhere along the line or the router. Fingers crossed the engineer's efforts in replacing the cabling going into your property stops your speeds dropping further.

While not uncommon for Openreach to provide FTTP to lines which can get decent FTTC speeds, from what I've seen they're focusing more on those lines which can't get FTTC at all either they're exchange only or too far from the cabinet.

I'd recommend keeping an eye on this and let us know if there are any further issues. Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet