cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please connect my Fibre wires from cabinet to property so I can use fibre.

FIXED
maverickuk2019
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Please connect my Fibre wires from cabinet to property so I can use fibre.

You recently sent an engineer out who found no issues with my adsl service. When it rains, only from a nw direction, the line keeps dropping until rain stops. He advised I am all set to go to fibre and should ask you to instugate the connection. I am on overhead copper wires spanning some 18 poles across a field. A house at 8 poles from cabinet has fibre already. The response from raising tickets is abysmal. Can you guys please look into this? Thank you
17 REPLIES 17
maverickuk2019
Grafter

Re: Please connect my Fibre wires from cabinet to property so I can use fibre.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number************** on Exchange HOLBEACH is served by Cabinet 13

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 70 20 19 64.9 Available Available --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 68 20 19 62.5 Available Available --  

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- --  

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 4 Available -- --  
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2.5 Up to 0.5 1.5 to 4 Available -- --  
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3 Available -- --  
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --  
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --  

Observed Speeds

VDSL

ADSL

Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps) -- 2.75          
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps) -- 0.44          
Observed Date -- 2019-08-08          

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap N            
VRI --            
NTEFaceplate --            
Last Test Date 08-08-2019            

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.

notmyname
Rising Star

If your connection drops when it's raining, it would indicate a  problem that this engineer may have overlooked.  I don't think an upgrade to FTTC would fix your problem.

maverickuk2019
Grafter

Not raining per se. Just raining from north west along with a decent wind. BT did a grand job when I came here as I must have had a dozen or more issues with the lines. They managed to resolve each and every one eventually apart from this [-Censored-]. I do understand if its not happening at the time of their visit, and it never is, then theres not a lot they can do beyond the usual stuff such as rattling the overhead lines etc. The issues are now quite rare and the odd few disconnects doesn't bother us too much because we know when that rain stops the issue resolves. The problem is the snr then goes up, slows us down and takes forever to clear again. Having only 2.5mb here every little helps. Even a 10mb fibre connection would be good I'm sure.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems, if you'd like to upgrade to fibre I'd recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 to place the order. 

Once you've done this we'll place the fibre order and on average it should take between 5 to 10 working days to complete. An engineer will be tasked out to the cabinet to connect your line to the fibre equipment.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
maverickuk2019
Grafter

Hello, and thank you. That's the problem sales, and other providers check my number and say I cannot get fibre yet. But the OpenReach engineers say I can its all ready to go just needs connecting to the property.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

but the Availability Checker you posted above shows FTTC ( VDSL) as available. That's the same information that is used by all the providers

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maverickuk2019
Grafter

yeah I know - The Openreach site says the following but the engineers state its already live at the cabinet across the field: 

Better broadband is coming
Good news – we’ll be upgrading your area to Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) soon.
Fibre to the Premises (FTTP)

Technology that supports speeds up to 1Gbps

We don’t have plans to upgrade your area yet. Tell us you’re interested and we’ll update you when things change.

Technology that supports speeds up to 80Mbps

Faster and more reliable fibre is coming to your area soon. Your speed will depend on things like how close you are to the cabinet. Your broadband provider will tell you what speed you can expect to receive when you place an order.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm sorry but I don't understand, was the availability check you posted earlier for your telephone number or for a different number ?

If it was for yours, then FTTC is available now and the sales team will use exactly the same information to determine if an order can be placed.

Any other information on the Openreach site may well be out of date, the Broadband availability checker ( https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ) is the definitive resource

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maverickuk2019
Grafter

It looks like the openreach engineer who came sorted out the cabinets as now I am getting fibre offers from any line checks I do and even an upgrade option at plusnet account for £10 + Router P&P of £8. I am currently on a 12mth adsl line for phone/BB I paid in advance. I presume the £10 is additional on top of that?

I have two routers sent out by the cowboy TalkTalk when they promised me fibre 6mths back, but it didn't exist. A real nightmare episode and had to take them to court, where they coughed up £500 compensation. Do not EVER waste your time with the useless arbitration idiots who seem to favour the business rather than the customers, even the ombudsman is garbage these days. Don't hesitate taking them to small claims court as they all seem to settle early.

I have two TT modems. The original was meant for the phantom fibre line but did also work for the standard BB (is this even possible?) Nothing on the quite large modem. On the box it states SagemCom FAST 5364-3. The other modem is small and called a super router. Are any of these actually fibre enabled and can I use it with plusnet? I think ultimately I will get a Billion fibre router if it all works out with new fibre, but I recall I also need a modem anyway?

Thanks for the help guys.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As @Gandalf  said, the best  approach would be to give the Customer options team a call as they will likely be able to do a better deal than upgrading online.

The talk talk supplied routers will be locked to talk talk and you can't use them on a Plusnet connection. You will either need to take the PN router or buy your own.

You can get combined VDSL modem/routers now, so a separate modem is not usually needed.

maverickuk2019
Grafter

Fix

OK thanks for that. Impossible to reach on the phone endless hold. Upgrade from account was £10 so I took a punt. probably safer to grab the modem too given the aggro I have had trying to get fibre. Fingers crossed all round then, though wont hold my breath. Thanks everyone for your help.

ashyt16
Grafter

I'm confused, just out of interest how come your adsl2+ up and down connection is so low, but your FTTC connection is really high.
Isn't the distance the same to the cabinet?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@maverickuk2019 Let us know how the upgrade goes, fingers crossed all will be well!

@ashyt16 It would appear that they’re really far from the exchange and really close to the cabinet. For fibre the only distance that matters is the copper line to the cabinet, for standard broadband the whole line back to the exchange can affect the speeds. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
maverickuk2019
Grafter

I certainly do not expect such great speeds over some 15 telegraph poles with the new fibre but I reckon 10mb+ will be fine. I do have a known issue as I say with one of the spans due to the NW rain/wind causing the odd issue, will this still affect the fibre connection and how?

My cabinet used to be about a 1/4 mile away but over the last year they installed a fibre cabinet across the field at the edge of the village, and recently some fibre poles into that cabinet from another area. I guess they are all joined up now and my cabinet is now the fibre one across the field. Fingers crossed.

The main issue for me was always needing decent support that understood a simple snr reset now and again was all that was required. I have since acquired a BILLION 7800DXL modem so I can do my own snr resets. Is there such a thing with fibre too if the line is playing up occasionally?