Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pleasantly Surprised Today

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Pleasantly Surprised Today

My speed has been stable for several months at 50Mbps Down, 10Mbps Up, at the PC, about 52Mbps at the socket, despite the distance chart from cabinet showing a maximum of about 44Mbps.

Yesterday I noticed a slow down to 45Mbps, which lingered all day. This morning I have speed tested at an unprecedented 53.8Mbps Down!! Using OOkla, BTW Performance Test shows 52.46Mbps and my Profile has increased from 53.44Mbps to 55.12Mbps.

As ever, one hopes that it will last!!

Puzzling as to why it changed after a very steady 4.5 months, but i guess I'll never know.

9 REPLIES 9
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Re: Pleasantly Surprised Today

When I went to post this, I lost broadband connection, which suggests Openreach activity. "there it goes" I thought, glad I took a photo of the Speed Test in case I doubted myself in future years. Glad to say that it's returned at the faster speed (for now!!).

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Have a look at http://speedof.me when I think my speed is dropping that's what I do (I get an immediate improvement of 3-4 Mbps Wink )

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Link fixed.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks longedge, for some reason the link isn't working, but I'll google it. 

longedge
Aspiring Pro

I was speaking tongue in cheek by the way. Just making the point that not all speedtesters are equal.

p.s. - Huh hmmm the link doesn't work for me either but it does from google "speed of me".

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are redundant characters at the end of the URL It should just be http://speedof.me

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

I tend to stick with Ookla, backed up with BTW Performance Test (which is always lower, I find) that way, even if misreading the results are comparable, hopefully. Can't believe today's speed, the Openreach Engineer who corrected a fault several months ago, said above 45Mbps was impossible according to the chart, he had to agree his equipment agreed with the higher speed.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

Just tried a few tests:-

Ookla 36.64
Thinkbroadband 36.56 single thread 36.47 multi thread
BTW 36.26 (ip profile 38.67)
mybroadbandspeed 37.00
Speedofme 40.05

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks longedge, Arguably then, Speedofme is about 10% optimistic, but the rest seem on the same page. I've always felt that Ookla was realistic.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I had a speed increase of about 4Mb from 44Mb to around 48.6Mb last week around Monday was well happy with that until i was moved to the new network a couple of days later and i lost the 4Mb I gained.

I tried a Modem reboot to see if i could get it back but sadly it remained at the lesser level, I'm not seeing any benefit from the new network at all if anything i have lost from it.