cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planned network maintenance 9th sept 2016

alan666
Grafter

Planned network maintenance 9th sept 2016

So the status shows up to 6 hours from 1am, however I can not connect to the Internet at all today.
51 REPLIES 51
sarczoid
Rising Star

Re: Planned network maintenance 9th sept 2016

I noticed speed issues and gave the VDSL A kick on my router and its fine now. I wanted to talk to the tech guys on live chat about something else, and it said there were 131 people in the queue, so seems the poor guys on the phones and live chats are getting hammered.

nursemorph273
Grafter

No surprise they are getting hammered....an issue affecting a significant number of people and there is complete silence...all it needs is a "we acknowledge there's a fault and are looking into it" but, instead, we are left guessing and having to go to other provider sites to try and find answers

sarczoid
Rising Star

I've worked in technology for years, this is nothing new...

As usual, the tech guys get battered to save the skins of the overpaid failures: the "project managers" and the "service managers"

AvengerUK01
Rising Star

Tech guy here (not plusnet!) can confirm! haha

sarczoid
Rising Star

All the PMs i've had the misfortune of working with, know screw all about IT, and you need to hold their hands constantly to stop them making continual duck ups.....

How they get those jobs is beyond me, half of them are ex army....

dannyboy75
Rising Star

Same issue here this morning, rebooted modem and router but made no difference. Whilst technically not down, my connection is biblically slow, and unusable.

alan666
Grafter

The last time this happened we were without Internet for 2 days. I eventually got through to the tech deparment who said I needed to reset my user and password on the router. How long would it have been if I had not chased it up? Not good service at all.
sarczoid
Rising Star

Whilst I sympathise fella, its impossible for an underfunded and understaffed IT department to communicate with their users.....

It would make sense, if there was an automated phone system that dialled you and played a message, "your broadband has failed to authenticate for over 12hrs, please contact plusnet support for assistance"... 

problem is, people don't want to be spammed with calls, even if (on this occasion) they are actually being useful.

AvengerUK01
Rising Star

Indeed. As someone in an understaffed and underfunded IT role - it's not always easy to give "the truthful answer" - although, if our software was down, which happens more times than I'd like to admit, we do hold our hands up to customers and say "its our fault" - which is what plusnet should of done! 

matthews
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's not like they have a status page they could easily update, or the facility to put a pre-recorded message on the front of the phone system (like they have done previously)

sarczoid
Rising Star

I completely agree.....

Like I said though, its down to the management, who are saving face (and a monthly bonus for keeping within their phoney SLAs no doubt) rather than putting whats best for their business and customers first.

I don't know what their network change was, I would imagine it was something along the lines of, updating firmware on their networking hardware, or switching out some of their core backbone links onto new router kit, or new lines....

Either way, internet is slow, so I imagine there are some problems.

rogerjshoesmith

Internet down here - cannot get a reponse from my default PlusNet gateway 172.16.16.15 so tried another nearby router 195.166.143.129 which seems OK as a short term fix (I'm using it now).

As far as PlusNet support is concerned, I worked for many years in global network support for an international manugacturing company, so I know what it's like.

It is really quite difficult to field hundreds of calls/emails/texts from irate users while you are trying to actually investigate and fix the problem.

Moral: if the Internet is vital to you, you need to have an entirely seperate backup route to it. Don't rely on efficient support.

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

i know of atleast 4 more plusnet customers who live down in the midlands who also have message me today to say they have no internet, you guys just have to hope the fix the problems they having.

asdfghjkl
Grafter

I only discovered maintenance was happening when the internet went down in the early hours.  I'm sure I normally receive an email in advance.  Now, almost eleven hours later, I'm still experiencing problems.  Randomly, parts of the internet (particularly British sites like bbc.co.uk and plus.net!) keep becoming unresponsive for a few minutes.