cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plain English Help please

briston
Aspiring Pro

Plain English Help please

I recently had FTTC installed and all went as per schedule with no problems. FTTC has just arrived in our village.
Like a lot of people I expect I checked the speeds obtained using the speed checker and it reported around 33 Mbs. With a notable increase in perceived speed when using the net from our old ADSL.
Some 1 1/2 months later things seemed to be a bit slower so I ran the check a few times again and now report 26.73Mbs and using the advanced section of the checker is deemed to be unacceptable.
I do not have the + version of FTTC so is this is what to expect? Will I also be expecting further drops as presumably more people in the village use fibre?
Compared to other chat here this must seem a stupidly silly question, sorry.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plain English Help please

If the BT speed check says it isn't acceptable it must be well below the IP profile
This isn't a cross talk problem
Can you repeat the test - wired - and then go to further diagnostics.
What is the IP profile and is it the same as the Plusnet Current Line Speed - link in my sig
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

If your speed has now dropped so far that the BT checker says it's not acceptable then contact PN (raise a ticket). As the other poster said though: Make sure you're testing using a wired connection. Wifi just isn't reliable enough and these days for a lot of people simply incapable of matching the speed of your internet connection.
What do you mean by a '+' version of FTTC? There is no such product of that name as far as I'm aware.
briston
Aspiring Pro

Sorry, yes there is no such thing as + FTTC, I should have said I only have unlimited fibre
Plus net says on my account;
Estimated line speed:35Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.)  - Checked on 2015-04-01 18:11:15Current line speed:40 Mb
The IP profile according to BT wholesale checker says 58Mbs and I achieve 27Mbs which is below the acceptable range is 40 Mbs to 58Mbs
As I said, when I joined I was getting 33Mb minimum
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I just deleted what I was about to post because of the information you have just posted. This is beginning to sound like it may be a Congestion issue, but are you getting those speeds at off-peak times?
Edit: and you ought to be getting a lot closer to 38Mbps, also please confirm that is via an ethernet connection, not wifi.
briston
Aspiring Pro

Yes, its Ethernet connection
Just run the test again, a bit better result

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
29.84 Mbps

0 Mbps 58.5 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 29.84 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is  46.8 Mbps-58.5 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 58.5 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
14.84 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 14.84Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required. This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests, please click on 'Continue' button. If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

It does sound like congestion. Make sure there's nothing else running on your connection and repeat the test tomorrow morning (Saturday) before you have breakfast.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

A slightly tricky one, because this is the 40Mbps product - it's not the sync speed that is limited but the throughput speed.
The line would seem to be quite good as the Uptream throughput speed (and so presumably the US sync speed), seems consistent (by which I mean within a speed range I would expect) with the downstream IP Profile (and hence DS sync speed).
As the IP profile is quite high, then when the actual throughput speed is sufficiently low, the BTw Tester will say "This test was not conclusive......".
Also note that the Upstream Profile is always quoted as 20Mbps on FTTC on the BTw Tester, irrespective of US sync speed.
On the 40Mbps product, if the IP Profile is above 40Mbps, the your Current Line speed should be 40Mbps at all times.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our testing isn't showing any issues.
Are you still seeing issues?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team