cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pings gone up slightly in the past few weeks

bledd

Pings gone up slightly in the past few weeks

Hi,

My ping has gone from 13-15 to 19-20 as of the past few weeks. I'm on a ~74/19 VDSL2 connection, roughly 80 metres from the exchange/cab.

My network set up is an Openreach modem with a Unifi USG as the router, Unifi switch.  For over a year, I had a super low ping, but recently it's crept up to the 20ms mark.

What could have caused this?

All hardwired, no other devices on the network at time of testing.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Pings gone up slightly in the past few weeks

bledd

Thanks for your swift response.

Is this something that will 'fix itself'?  

Hadn't noticed any downtime.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

There's no guarantee it will fix itself, if it does it can take anything from a few days to months. It all depends on how BT's line management sees the quality of the connection.

Which BT modem are you running?

If it's the HG612 then you could unlocking it or get a second unlocked one and then be able to see the line stats. It's even possible with these modems to configure a reduced sync speed to give a better chance of having interleaving removed.

22over7
Rising Star

It may be that @bledd's line has some problems. It may not be. 

For a bit over a week, I have been shunted around various gateways, with red stripes on my BQM graphs, with a few milliseconds added or subtracted from my minimum ping times. (I am sorry, but I failed several times to add a link in the correct way for these forums). 

I suspect that Plusnet may be shuffling far-flung customers (I'm in Edinburgh) around, maybe to make room for football or some such. My PPOE connection has never dropped, and my line looks completely normal.  The shuffling around seems to happen between midnight and 6am, when my connection is doing nothing. 

The problem with never being told about such things, is that one assumes it's a line problem, and embarks on some attempt to diagnose line problems, when it may be nothing of the kind. (Though, to repeat, it may be.)