Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping spikes

FIXED
Smeagol
Dabbler

Ping spikes

Recently I've been getting quite a lot of ping spikes and since i play online games, (league of legends and counter-strike specifically) it's quite annoying and makes for an bad experience. About a few months ago my ping was fine, then after changing my router because the other one was old i started getting packet loss, then i changed again and the packet loss was gone but i'm now getting ping spikes, i am on an Ethernet cable and have fibre optic.

When i ping my router there is no ping spikes at all (1 ms constantly), but when i ping a different server such as 8.8.8.8 there are constant ping spikes. I am using a Dynamic DNS i was given the option to change but i read online that it does not change much in relation to my concerns.

7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Ping spikes

Those images show no major issues.

The highest ping showing on the Ping Test.PNG is 63 ms, and that's the only one above 13ms.

The Tracert.PNG shows that the response back from the end server is 9/10ms. Hops in between can show higher as different routers may not prioritise responses to ping packets.

There's no packets being dropped either.

When you next see this, can you open console in Counter Strike and type in ping, this gives an idea of your ping to the server you're connected to.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Smeagol
Dabbler

Yes but this varies, sometimes it goes up even further sometimes not. It still shouldn't happen and provides a bad experience that is almost unplayable in a game such as league of legends.

Chris
Legend

Fix

When it's bad can you show us the ping responses? I'm afraid the ones you've provided show no issues at all.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

It may also be worth noting that there are different kinds of 'ping'. A command line ping will be a small packet (32 bytes each way) that 'bounces off' a single endpoint. A game 'ping' will often be a larger packet (simulating normal traffic) and the round trip might include routing and processing at the remote end.

So a command line ping can detect gross errors on the public network but might not show up more subtle errors on the public network and completely fail to show up errors within the game's server farm.

Smeagol
Dabbler

I have no reason to lie to you that i am getting ping spikes i can provide a video if needed of me having ping spikes whilst in a game.

Smeagol
Dabbler

Oh i fixed it, i changed the slot the cable was connected into and the ping is fine now. Thanks for the concern anyway.

Chris
Legend

That's good to hear, thanks for letting us know!