cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping spikes - low upload speed the cause?

himynameiswill

Ping spikes - low upload speed the cause?

I had problems with Sky for months regarding ping spikes throughout the entire day when anybody was using the internet. Browsing twitter would cause my ping to spike over into the hundreds every few seconds, which for what I do (online gaming) I can't have.

After months of customer support, Sky eventually gave up, offered to let me out my contract for free seeing as they couldn't fix the problem.

I had always had the feeling it could be due to my low upload speed, usually around 0.2Mbps.

I went with Plusnet knowing about the whole upload speed reduction, mainly because it was still at 2Mbps, leagues above what I had.

My fiber just switched on today there are a few things to note:

- Download speed is where I expected it to be at over 14Mbps.

- I get consistent ping spikes from 11ms into the hundreds.

- My upload speed is just as low as it was with Sky.

High upload speed in itself is not something I desire since I do no streaming and little uploading of files, but 0.2/0.3 is just too low and if it is the cause to my ping spikes I need a solution.

If it is not the cause, I would appreciate help trying to eliminate the source of my ping spikes, but seeing as the problem exists on a second ISP with low upload speed, I am to assume that is the problem.

3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Ping spikes - low upload speed the cause?

Hi there,

Seeing as you had similar problems with your previous ISP have you been able to rule out your router as the cause by trying another?

Is there anything you do currently that seems to trigger the issue and do you usually connect over WiFi? ^AW

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
himynameiswill

Hello,

I'm now using the Plusnet Hub One but I still get the issue. I should note when not spiking I'm getting 11ms, whereas with Sky I was getting 22. So good in that regard but the spikes ruin it.

Since I'm gaming, I'm playing on a wired PC. I have a few wireless devices like phones which when simply browsing the internet or watching a YouTube video cause the ping to spike.

Like with Sky, I would have to wait until everybody else was asleep to turn the WiFi off and close everything down on my PC using the internet to ensure I don't get spikes, which really isn't something I can sustain.
himynameiswill

Somehow gotten worse. Constantly pinging when im not even doing anything.