Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping spikes and packet loss

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Ping spikes and packet loss

@dbrownuk, I've discussed this with our suppliers and they're investigating further with their capacity team. We've been advised to check back tomorrow afternoon.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dbrownuk
Dabbler

@Gandalf 

Thanks for getting in touch with the supplier. Currently both devices are connected via WiFi, but the WiFi is not an issue here. While the traceroutes are pings are taking place, I have a continuous pings running to both the Amplifi router and the Plusnet router which don't show pings of an order of magnitude higher when the ping is spiking to an external device.

I'm happy to do some tests over ethernet (but have previously done this with the same end result), but needs one computer streaming twitch/youtube/netflix while the other is pinging/tracerouting. I can do this probably next week but am pretty busy with work this week and some MSc exams so won't get the chance to.

Many thanks, Dan

dbrownuk
Dabbler

@Mustrum 

Yeah it's an interesting chart because those spikes coincide with ~7-9 Mbps of the connection being used (one device streaming youtube/netflix etc). I wouldn't imagine that 7-9mbps of the available 75-80 Mbps should cause such high ping spikes. The Amplifi router has a page on the app which shows current Throughput (up/down) and can also be seen on the display of the router which I can monitor with.

It may be possible to disconnect everything for a period but it only seems to happen when somebody is streaming. It's particularly interesting as previously with one device streaming, ping spikes from 10 to 100-250 or so every few seconds, but if I kick off a speed-test from the Amplifi Router itself (functionality built into the device, which is connected directly with a short ethernet cable into the plusnet hub), ping stays stable at ~50ms for the duration of the download section of the speed-test - I find this very curious!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's possible we may need to simplify things by connecting 1 device via ethernet to 1 router, then add on 1 other device connected via ethernet, then take 1 device off ethernet on to WiFi, then move the 2nd device back onto WiFi.

However, I'll check for an update tomorrow afternoon and I'll let you know when our suppliers have investigated this.

I can do this probably next week but am pretty busy with work this week and some MSc exams so won't get the chance to.

No worries and good luck with your exams!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@dbrownuk, our suppliers capacity team have checked and are unable to see any slow throughput or packet loss issues on the S-VLAN you're on. As the next step I'd recommend trying the steps above letting us know how things go. Potentially it may be worth us arranging an engineer to investigate further.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dbrownuk
Dabbler

@Gandalf Thanks for getting back to me.

Unfortunately I've not been able to follow the steps with regard to setting up only one device on the router and slowing adding them yet as I've been super busy this week again.

I've experienced extreme lag today though. Looking at my router, the connection has been using 5-13Mbps download. You can see from the attached trace routes that none of the latency issues occur between either the Amplifi or Plusnet routers.

Lag 1.PNGLag2.PNGlag3.PNGlag4.png

Looking at the trace routes in particular, it would appear the issue is beyond my router, either in the wiring up to my house or else-where.

Strangely again, when the latency is spiking and I perform a speed-test (saturating the entire connection), the latency stabilises perfectly and then immediately returns to it's huge spikes:

lag5.PNG

Thanks,

Dan

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Dan.

Thanks for the traceroutes and graph.

Was the computer you used connected via ethernet to the router?

If you play any other games apart from CS do you notice any lag then too?

I'm also trying something here by adding the Pro Addon to your account which means that time sensitive traffic (like gaming) will be prioritised over other types of traffic.

Could you let me know how it goes and post up more traceroutes and graphs? Although rather than tracing BBC as they're known to rate limit ICMP which basically gives ping requests a much lower priority and can affect the results, could you run traceroutes to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com instead please?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dbrownuk
Dabbler

@Gandalf 

These were done using WiFi as before as I haven't been able to bring a PC to the router (in a town-house so not super easy to run a cable upstairs!).

Looking at the charts and my latency since the pro plugin has been added, the connection seems to be signifcantly better. I've not noticed any lag in CS, and have tested this while another computer uses up to 15Mbps of the connection too.

Will monitor the situation over the next few days but think this may have resolved it!

withpro1.png

Thanks,

Dan

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

but think this may have resolved it

It might well have, but unless Plusnet are going to gift this to you, it will cost you an extra £5 per month.

(just pointing it out and you could well be happy to pay the extra for the better traffic prioritisation)

The good thing is it doesn't tie you into a contract and is a on a rolling month by month basis

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @dbrownuk, thanks for confirming it's helped.

If you'd like, simply reply to @Gandalfs ticket here and we'll be able to add it on permanently for you or remove it based on your preference.

I can see that Gandalf has already advised you of the cost of this service in his ticket as well as explaining how it works and so we'll leave it to you to decide if you'd like to keep it.

We'd just ask that you let us know here when you do respond to the ticket so that we can get onto it right away for you.

dbrownuk
Dabbler

@OskarPapa @Gandalf 

Hi both,

Just wanted to confirm the ticket is now closed and am happy with the resolution provided!

Thanks so much for your help in troubleshooting this and ultimately finding a suitable solution.

Many thanks,

Dan

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Dan, thanks for getting back to us.

No problem and I'm glad that we've managed to sort the issue out for you. As a heads up I've re-opened your ticket as I'll need a reminder to check back on your account in a few weeks to apply the proposed resolution.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet