Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping increase and speed decrease

johnukd
Dabbler

Ping increase and speed decrease

Hi.

I have been a customer since 2013, but over the years the speed has decreased, but more importantly (for me) the ping has recently increased.

Take a look at this graph:

f3fb17f7af0c55cd46988ecb8b0b1f8e.png

I remember when this was constant green and around 7ms.

Here is a speedtest from 2015:

My Broadband Speed Test

And here is one today:

My Broadband Speed Test

The latency is the thing that's dramatically changed recently. Pinging google.co.uk or bbc.co.uk was always a consistant 7-8ms, but now it's around 25ms. I always had a great ping in games, but now my friend on virgin media even has a better ping Funny

I've been happy with Plusnet for 7 years, but why have things degraded over the years? Surely technology should improve.

Can someone explain why the service has degraded? Too many customers on the network now?

Thanks, John.

14 REPLIES 14
johnukd
Dabbler

Re: Ping increase and speed decrease

Here is the ping graph from July 2019, with a much better minimum latency... It's been low since 2013 until recently. It crept up between July and September.

My Broadband Ping - j0hn.uk ping graph

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

What on your network is generating all that traffic?

You will never get a decent speed test if something is generating traffic 24 hours a day.

That said, what is yphone line like, is it quiet when you dial 17070 option 2 from a corded phone?

johnukd
Dabbler

It's not traffic, it's a latency graph. I don't have a corded phone so cant try that.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

It will cost £6 or so for a phone from Argos/DIY shop/supermarket if you phone line is noisy you won’t get the best broadband speeds.

If noisy DLM will slow your speeds and error correction to try and stabilise your line.

Plus all that traffic will increase latency.

johnukd
Dabbler

All what traffic? Its a latency graph!

Robert127

Have you asked plusnet to do a line test that's the best way to find out if their is a line problem unto your hub . By the way is costs you nothing . That way you won't need to buy a phone . You owe me £6.00 . Thank you .

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@johnukd,

There's nothing obvious on your line tests causing a problem - voice is testing fine, no errors I can see. That said your line breach is low, and your speed for your connection is lower than we'd probably expect and this might be causing a latency problem. 

Can I ask the router you're using? It's logged as a 582n on your account which is 6 years old, and if you're using that you'll also be using the Openreach Modem. Would it be possible to get an over view of your setup. 

johnukd
Dabbler

Hi @JOLO 

It's a BT Smart Hub. I replaced the 582n a few years back.

Have a look at the image below, if it helps.

Could this latency be error checking because my line has got noisy or something? As I said, it's been fine for over 6 years, but degraded in the last two months.

Thanks.

smarthub.jpg

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@johnukd  As I suggested a cheap phone would let you know if your line was noisy. It's one thing that PN testing can't show, unless its really bad.

As for your TBB Graphs, now that you gave said the router you are using. I guess you are using a device in the DMZ to respond to pings. Routers and many other devices treat pings lower in priority to the job they are there for = routing for example.

In most cases you would expect the Graph to have quiet periods when you are asleep and not using anything on the LAN - as shown in the TBB example .The yellow spikes show when traffic is being used on the network, hence my earlier comments.

If your router was able to respond to pings you would get a clearer picture of traffic on the WAN link as well as ping response.

johnukd
Dabbler

My router is responding to pings and has been for years.

ping.png

Anyway, something has changed somewhere recently, that's what i'm trying to figure out.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

I don't have a Hub 6, it must be the first BT Hub that does respond to pings.

I would still expect quiet periods, unless you never sleep and are heavily using the network 24 hours a day!

johnukd
Dabbler

@Mustrum What do you not understand about latency? Again, these are latency graphs, not usage graphs.

You have been no help whatsoever. You seem like someone who just replies for the sake of their post count.

Please don't reply again. I'll await a reply from someone at Plusnet who might actually be able to help me.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

What should I see if my connection is idle and running well?

The graph below is a great example of what a nice stable broadband connection should display:

BQM graph showing a good connection

The green area is stable across the 24 hour period, which means that the line is performing well. There is almost no blue on the graph, which tells us that in each 100 second period the latency stayed very close to the minimum which is around 16ms for this connection. The yellow (which is maximum latency) only spiked twice, at around 6:30pm and 10pm, which may represent someone opening a webpage or two at these times.

johnukd
Dabbler

Yes, that is what my Plusnet connection looked like 7 years ago, even better infact! The latency was below 10ms both max and min!

Look at it now Crazy2