cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping Spikes because of high bandwidth usage

Smeagol
Dabbler

Ping Spikes because of high bandwidth usage

I've had some problems in the past with ping spikes and plusnet has said it was because of high bandwidth usage, which is probably correct as there are about 4 or 5 people using internet at my house. 

I have the highest internet speed possible, my pc connected with an ethernet cable etc, are there any other ways to help or fix the ping spikes?

3 REPLIES 3
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Ping Spikes because of high bandwidth usage

Gaming and online families do Not mix.  Best you can do is run QOS on your router if it has the option and restrict all connected devices to use a portion of your connection speed.  So without hosting any games you need 2mbit free both up and down to remove most lag triggered by others being online and 3+ if hosting matches in 2v2 4v4 etc

FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Smeagol
Dabbler

Well, i have asked plusnet about OOS options on my router (plusnet hub one) and they said that the options are already set for higher bandwidth for gaming etc and less for watching videos. 

However, a lot of other people game and such in places that have also have a lot of people, how do they not get ping issues?

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The problem is cat videos, someone else in your house loads youtube/netflix etc and watches their stream of choice, they use all bandwidth for a while which leaves nothing for you while gaming.

Only way to be sure you get no lag while gaming is that no-one else is online in your house, second best is using QOS

FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November