cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping Climbing concerns

PJRob

Ping Climbing concerns

I'm a new customer, have had the 76 fibre package for a couple of weeks now. I came to plusnet because they claim to hold priority service towards gaming and streaming, on top of the fact that through a lot of research they seem to give good stability etc. But I've been a little disappointed with my ping due to a friend who lives near by on virgin media getting between 10-15 at all times. I've been sitting constant between 25-30 until the last day or so where it seems to have climbed to around 50 constantly, sometimes dropping to around 35 but has become less consistent.
I realise these aren't massive differences and most people wouldn't notice them but my concern is that it is something that will get worse rather than better. It's more disappointing due to the fact that I was tossing up between plusnet and virgin and found this to be the case after the fact. I've also noticed from looking around the forums that people are typically getting around 15 ping which is more what I was expecting from their most expensive package which I am using.
So are these figures consistent with other people, specifically in the Dundee area or can I expect things to get better/worse at all? (Side note, the download/upload speeds are both fine, more or less what was expected.)
10 REPLIES 10
NoZephy
Rising Star

Re: Ping Climbing concerns

I've seen Fastpath pings as low as 5ms (my friend on TalkTalk ADSL, crazy I know.) and up to 15ms.
If you had high interleaving on your downstream you can add 8ms onto that range and another 8ms if you have high interleaving on your upstream at the same time.
Even with interleaving both ways though (worst case) I wouldn't expect pings to shoot into the 50ms at all.
If you can't get any stats from your modem I'd suggest you kindly ask a staff member to post your profile and see what's happening to your line
Just out of interest, what Modem/Router are you using to connect?
PJRob

Thanks for the reply.
I'm using the standard router that was supplied with the install from plusnet. 2740N (If that means anything to you.)
I haven't changed anything and my ping seems to have settled fairly consistently around mid 50's lately which is annoying. I tried asking the live chat but they said there was nothing wrong with the line and that the ping I was quoting wasn't enough to be a problem. (I would disagree.)
I guess if I hear nothing else from here my next step is to send a ticket about it.
dick:quote
NoZephy
Rising Star

If you're on Fibre you should have a Modem which the engineer would have bought with him to install and then the PlusNet router that you would have recieved through the mail.
If you can look on the back of the modem and see whether it has ECI or Huawei written on it, that would help.
You should definitely put a ticket in, reference it in your post so the staff can get on it asap in the working week Wink
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

You don't have interleaving or G.INP applied to your line.
Our testing has flagged up a issue with the phone line which may be a cause.
I've raised this on Question: 106222108
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
PJRob

ECI to answer the first question.
And thank you, I got the emails about the line test and potential fault. I shall wait and see if it resolves.
PJRob

Following up from the above, I had an engineer come out, there was 'noise' on the line apparently, he said it was all sorted, yet my ping still sits more commonly around the 50s, I've tested on various sites including the BT one but I watch it regularly with gaming etc. My PC is connected by ethernet and yet apparently when doing things on that, my wireless on my chromebook has to buffer a lot more than normal, which really shouldn't be the case on the package I'm running. I don't know if the basic router that was supplied with the package is to blame for any of this or if there's some other possible cause but I'm at a loss at this point.
This is all pretty disappointing honestly considering plusnet talk about priority service with gaming/streaming etc which was why I chose to come to them and yet I can't even get a stable/low ping that comes close to what Virgin gives in the same region and I'm not really sure what else I can do about it seeing as I've already had an engineer out which was supposed to have fixed the issue but evidently did nothing.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi did you reboot the plusnet Router ( not the modem ) after the Engineer finished his work if not give it a try a new session may get you the ping you should have, if that doesn't work then i dunno It would seem something would still be up with the line 50ms is way high i get 13-14 ms as a reference.  
PJRob

Yes and I did it again after you post to double check, still no improvement and now while playing some games with some people my skype was dropping and having issues. Which is ridiculous.
NoZephy
Rising Star

Skype drops completely? does anything else disconnect while that happens or just Skype? Does the time in which it happens change at all? e.g only happens at night and not in the day.
If I were in your situation I'd give a different router a try, preferably something with broadcom chipset just to try it out on the line and see how it reacts compared to the lantiq based ECI modem.
It must be tempting to give Virgin a try but IIRC they have a ton of "Fair usage" thresholds, especially on the upload side of the network.
PJRob

It was only skype and that may have been unrelated, hard to say as last night was the first time it was happening. I may look to getting a different router if plusnet don't see anything else wrong with the line and see if that changes anything. Thanks for the help.