cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line installed - now what?

kaotix

Phone line installed - now what?

Firstly hello, new customer here waiting for Fibre.
Today I had a contractor turn up to install the phone line in my property. After we searched for ages to find the master socket, we found that only 1 socket in the house works. Awesome...I'll have that sorted next year.
The engineer did manage to ensure that this socket was ok and that it could be used as the master socket until the other sockets can be sorted.
He then checked outside the property to find that the line to the house was not connected (disconnected) to the network. He raised a call with OpenReach who turned up around 2 hours later.
The OR guy has now completed the work to ensure my property is now connected to the network.
So, now what?
I didn't even know anyone was coming out today, it was lucky that I was home that any of this happened.
Also, I haven't had any additional information from plusnet since my initial order and subsequently do not have any hardware to attach to my shiny new phone line.
Can someone advise as to what happens next?
Thanks,
Phil
10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Phone line installed - now what?

Hi Kaotix,
Apologies for any confusion caused by the engineer visit.
Having checked the order it wasn't anticipated that an engineer would need to gain access to your property so we didn't expect that to happen either
We not need to get the order for the fibre service placed for you.
This is being handled via ticket  96086551 so please expect to see updates to that over the coming week.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

It sounds to me that neither engineer has properly explained what they should have left you with to be ready for your fibre!
You should have had a new mk3 socket fitted which will be the point for your OR fibre modem to be connected. It also should have a faceplate incorporating connection for any extensions required and enabling these to be automatically disconnected when testing.
I'm not sure whether these "telephone" engineers would provide an inadequate installation for the broadband engineer to correct on his subsequent visit, but that, by your description, seems to be what they have done.
I recommend you connect a corded phone an see whether the line works  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
kaotix

No new face plate was installed. The engineer that came inside the house didn't actually do anything other than locate the master socket.
Does this mean another engineer will need to attend to iinstall the new face plate?
GeordieMark
Grafter

Wouldn't the new faceplate be installed by the engineer who comes to install the fibre?
PeterLoftus
Pro

Hi Kaotix and belated welcome to the forum.
There will be some more experienced members of the forum along shortly to lead you through the issues  Cheesy
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PeterLoftus
Pro

Yes you'll need a new faceplate which incorporates filtering and a test socket arrangement. Also this main socket will need to be near a power outlet to connect the OR modem Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think this is what would have happened
The phone line was ordered but not fibre so the engineer would only sort out a phone connection as he wouldn't be aware of any broadband requirement as Adam said that they will now need to place a fibre order
The fibre order will be done by a fibre engineer who should fit a new master socket and also provide the BT modem to which the Plusnet router (if you ordered one) will be connected
If the phone socket isn't in a suitable place (power point for example) then you should ensure that Plusnet order includes an extension kit
kaotix

Awesome. Thanks guys, everything makes sense. I'll await more details on the Fibre install and work out what to do with the location of things!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
The phone line was ordered but not fibre

Deliberately or due to the increasingly common errors made by PN I wonder.  Wink
In an ideal world PN would have placed an order for a simultaneous provide so I wonder why the FTTC component wasn't on the original order?
GeordieMark
Grafter

I was wondering why it wasn't done as SIM provide, maybe there were complications, as the OP said his property wasn't connected to the network at the joint / junction box / DP it's possible they couldn't put a fibre order in until this was done?
Or, as you say, the order wasn't put through properly in the first place