cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone / internet socket,

denwyn
Rising Star

Phone / internet socket,

We have Plusnet fibre and phone ,have been with Plusnet a good while now. Sometime in late October we are moving house to a bungalow. On viewing it again this week I looked at the phone connection, it's a very old connection box,quite small, looks nothing like a master socket, its the only phone point in the house. How would I go about getting this changed to a new one with adsl and phone connection,do I have to pay for this,if so how much is it. When we first had fibre installed by Plusnet they sent out BT Openreach to connect up modem and router,he fitted a dual socket to replace master socket. But I believe its all self install now. Any advice appreciated...Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Phone / internet socket,

Hi there.

We could arrange an engineer for a new line installation. This incurs a fee of £49.99 though, but I believe our house moves team may be happy to cover that by extending your contract.

It's worth noting that whilst we can leave notes for the engineer to request a [new] master socket is installed, it's best effort and it's not something we can guarantee the engineer will be able to do.

Alternatively, if that doesn't happen and if you experience problems with the fibre service we could raise a fault to arrange an engineer visit as part of a fault investigation that way. Here, the charge would be £65 if the issue is with internal equipment.

I hope this helps,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You do realise that if you only have a single socket you can use a normal filter? You should have received one similar to this with the router.

41LNlNZFwuL._SY355_

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Is it a standard phone (plug) socket?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes that is what I was thinking of.

We have one in my parents and many years ago I remember my dad fitted the sockets himself. Not what you should do now of course, but there you go.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@denwyn

Can you identify the socket from this page? http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm

I'm guessing from what you have posted it may be a LJU1 as these are significantly smaller than the types you will be used to seeing.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
denwyn
Rising Star

Its similar to that, not got rounded edges, cable goes in on one side and there is standard phone socket on other side. As we were only viewing property I couldn't get down and inspect properly. I looks very old to me. The place has never had internet at all,I would just like to know how I go about getting a modern master socket with asl outlet as I have now. Fitting it in same place is fine,not to fussed on moving it. Should be easy job.

denwyn
Rising Star

Thanks for that,as soon as I get a moving date i.'ll give you a call to see if we can sort it out.

Dennis