cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone fixed but still slow fibre

davtjon
Dabbler

Phone fixed but still slow fibre

A week ago I found my fibre connection was running very slowly and the phone had no dialtone. I reported the fault and an engineer was
booked. However, three days before the engineer appointment, the phone came back to life and I assumed everything was fixed. I logged this
on the support ticket and assumed the fault had been fixed somewhere somewhere outside.
However, my fibre broadband is still running slower than it was. The pings have gotten a bit better but still double what they were, but I'm still
only downloading at around 45 mb when it was over 70+ mb the week before.  Sad
My line estimate is 72 mb, which is exactly what I was getting before the phone fault.
Should I log another fault ticket for the broadband slowdown or is there something else I should be doing? I've tried rebooting the
router and turning off the modem for 30 minutes and turning back on again.
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Phone fixed but still slow fibre

Hi davtjon,
Cheers for letting us know that the line fault has been fixed.
As DLM dynamic line management is automated for fibre connections this means you should see things improve over the next few days.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

As Adam says it's down to DLM but where he says just days it can actually take weeks sometimes even months to get full speed back that's if DLM will return any at all, I have had two line faults in the 9 months i have been a member here, went  from 65Mb to 59Mb in May when fixed speed never returned was told it was cross talk,  then last month down to 46Mb again fixed but this time it did rise to 51Mb and took three weeks to do it not days and that is as far as it has gone and again cross talk blamed for the rest not returning.
I wish you well but I would look to the possibility you wont see your full speed back again and any you do see come back may take a few weeks to do so.   
davtjon
Dabbler

Ah! Unfortunately, I spoke too soon about the phone line  Sad - as of yesterday I still have a dialtone but
now lots of crackling on the line, and a faint sound of a radio station playing in the background! I'm guessing there's
still a loose connection or wire somewhere outside. Not surprisingly my fibre modem has been
resyncing continuously with pings all over the place.
New ticket logged... sigh!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers for your time on the phone.
I hope the engineer visit on Wednesday gets this resolved for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
davtjon
Dabbler

I'd like to report that everything is now fine, but sadly it's as bad as it ever was. Possibly worse as
now my broadband goes off every time the phone rings or someone uses the phone.
The second engineer didn't even realise that another engineer had visited the week before and apparently went
round to the green box to redo some connections. He didn't come back to test the line but just phoned to say that he'd
finished the work he needed to do.
What's the next step here? The biggest problem here is that the noise on the line only gets really bad from early
evening onwards, so clearly the BT guys don't have much to go on when they turn up early in the day. I can no longer do
any kind of streaming on my fibre as it keeps breaking connection every couple of minutes.
The last engineer suggested that my ISP should arrange for a broadband engineer to attend as they have different
tools that can find intermittent faults like mine (a likely high resistance fault I think he called it). Is this something you can do?
I'm getting a bit frustrated with this now. Whilst it's nice meeting these friendly Openreach guys, it would be good to meet one
who can stay long enough to do a proper investigation!