cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistent "authentication problem" error message

tgodell

Persistent "authentication problem" error message

Ever since I switched to fibre optic, I have had this problem. It occurs on all devices in the house and happens frequently (several times per hour). I have tried switching the router off but the problem persists. Help!!!!

6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Persistent "authentication problem" error message

Thanks for getting in touch @tgodell and apologies for the delayed response.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your connection.

Based on what you've said I suspect you're affected by a known issue with our router's wireless 5GHz band.

I'd recommend splitting the wireless bands and connecting your devices to the 2.4GHz wireless band only. I've included instructions on how to do this below.

1) In your browser go to 192.168.1.254.
2) Hit Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
3) Continue to Advanced Settings.
4) Tap on Wireless.
5) Choose 5GHz tab.
6) Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
7) Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID'
8) Save the changes.

Let us know if you're having issues making these changes as we can make them remotely for you with your permission to do so

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
tgodell

Thanks for coming back to me. I would be grateful if you would effect the changes, please. Terry

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @tgodell, I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I've now actioned that for you so you should now see 2 available networks on your devices.

Let us know how you get on. - Lauren

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
tgodell

Hi, thanks for trying but although it works fine on the 2.4GHz band it will not connect to the 5GHz - comes up with the "authentication error message". Beginning to think I shouldn't have bought into fibre optics.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

That can happen if your device doesn't support 5g. If you haven't already it would be worth telling your devices to "forget" any wireless networks you've connected to previously and try authenticating again. 

Failing that you could try logging into the router at http://192.168.1.254 and setting a new password for the 5ghz channel. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tgodell

Although a slight improvement in the last month my household is still suffering from the internet dropping out. This over 4 computers at different times of the day. I have therefore decided to opt out of the fibre broadband as it appears to be not worth the extra money and I would like return to my previous non-fibre scheme. However, despite this poor performance, I am concerned that I am going to be charged penalties. Advice please?