cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistent Issue - Loss of connection and noise on line

thomasjob

Persistent Issue - Loss of connection and noise on line

I seem to have the same issue every few months, after numerous visits from engineers it seems to go for a while then comes back to rear its ugly head.
This has happened on numerous routers, and I have had numerous engineers out, both "phone" engineers and "internet" engineers have checked the line and said the results have come back normal.
This happened when I had ADSL and has continued to happen after upgrade to FIBRE.
The issue I have is loss of connection, where I then have to go and reset the router to re-establish a connection.  This can happen several times a week, or at its worst, several times a day.
The other issue I have is noise on the phone line.  This only happens when the internet is connected and in use.  It is a crackly noise and gets louder, but then can go completely silent, then comes back again. If the router is unplugged the noise disappears.
When the phone line is in use, the internet speed completely drops, until more often than not, the connection drops completely, and the red solid light is illuminated on the router.  Sometimes it will reset itself after a short period, other times it gets stuck on this and requires a router reset.
I'm pretty sure this constant need to reset the router isn't normal and can't be doing anything good for my connection speed.  I'm pretty sure on one occassion when the problem was fixed the noise level was adjusted at Plusnet's side and it seemed to improve things.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? If any Plusnet techs are reading this, I replicated the issue at 11:14 hours when I had an incoming phone call.  I raised a ticket on friday but haven't heard anything yet
5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Persistent Issue - Loss of connection and noise on line

Our testing has found a fault externally.
A engineer should be out to investigate the line in the next 72 hours.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
thomasjob

thank you for the update.
is there a reason why I keep on getting this problem repeatedly every few months? it is starting to really get annoying.
Regards
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unfortunately there really isn't a direct reason I can give I'm afraid.
There's various potential causes but until the engineer goes out we won't know for certain.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
thomasjob

Ok thank you. I take it they only need to go to the exchange rather than my property?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

They'll work on the line between the cabinet and your property.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team