cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peek time issues

zapto
Grafter

Peek time issues

I am having issues during peek times. From around 4 until midnight our connection is nearly unusable. Web pages fail to load on the first attempt, steaming is non existent. However outside of the times above our connection is ROCK solid.

I have raised a ticket and called however people don't understand that the problem is only at peek times.

Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Peek time issues

Id suggest putting modle is master socket, connect to router via ethenet cable not wifi and at the peak time run the btw speedtest http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

do all 3 tests and put results here.

if test 1 and 2 are slow but 3 is fast its a plusnet contention issue most likely. 

If all 3 are slow you,are probably on a contended network in bt network.

test 3 bypasses plusnet so rules them out

the test speeds are saved so btw can see and have faults raised against. Once you can get the results sure we can suggest best way forward. 

zapto
Grafter

I dont have a master socket (well I dont have an NTE5 with a test socket), however the router is plugged into the only working socket (I had a BT engineer out to 'fix' this problem, as part of it he disconnected all of the other extensions). He confirmed that the line was fine and well within limits for noise etc.  

Issue happens on both wired and wireless. I will do the BTW tests once I get home and then again once it starts being an issue. 

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I have raised a ticket and called however people don't understand that the problem is only at peek times.

The fault ticket suggests that when we tested your line there was an issue on the phone service found. Do you have a clear dial tone?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zapto
Grafter

Hi Chris.

As per ticket yes there is a slight noise on the line but there are no disconnects (that I am aware of) and the issue only happens at peek times but the noise is 24/7.

We got charged for a BT engineer to attend to fix the line so I'm annoyed there is still and issue with noise/line.

I will test the BtW speed tester, however speeds are not my issue. It's the first page loads and this would suggest a problem with DNS. If I switch my DNS providers on my desktop the issue goes away (something i added into the troubleshooter). However this fix cannot be applied to WiFi and fixed devices that cannot do anything other than DHCP provided by the hub.

I either replace my hub with something I can control (yet more money).
Or you fix the issue........

I have added some images from my SamKnows box for UDP Latency. You can quite clearly see this goes through the roof at peek times, speeds drop slightly, however within reasonable limits. 

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I have added some images from my SamKnows box for UDP Latency. You can quite clearly see this goes through the roof at peek times, speeds drop slightly, however within reasonable limits.

Without a scale on the graph I can't see anything I'm afraid, the spikes could be taking it to 30ms, or to 3000ms.

When you have the issues at peak time can you provide a tracert to an affected website, speed tests etc so we can see the impact.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.