cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak Time slowdown

davenos
Rising Star

Peak Time slowdown

So yet another problem that im having and it requires its own thread so as not to confuse others in the packet loss thread.

I am experiencing slowdowns at peak hours, this is one of a continuing amount of issues with Plusnet that has been ongoing since July 20th(20 weeks and counting).

I am getting just over 15% of my actual connection speed as throughput during peak hours(4pm till 11pm)and it may well be happening for longer than just the 7 peak hours(i cannot be bothered to test after 11pm).

So Plusnet its over to you yet again to see what excuses are given for this issue, will it be exchange congestion despite my neighbours not being effected(one of which is a Plusnet customer on a different gateway), will it be equipment inside my home(despite the only things in use being my Laptop, my router, a TV and my fridge feezer(which is nowhere near the other equipment) or will it be acknowledged as an issue at your end?

And the BT speedtester still cannot complete the further diagnostics test as im still getting the following error(and have been for weeks),nullThe Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

53 REPLIES 53
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Peak Time slowdown

Well it's something specific to you, your equipment or the gateway you're routing through. My connection shows little sign of any issues so I don't think it's a general PN network issue. Could you try running this speedtester, please: 

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

It's the most diagnostically useful speedtester. I'd expect the x6 results to match what speedtest.net says but the x1 might be interesting. When you post a link to the results please ensure it includes a graph.

Although you say that your neighbour(s) are not affected it's worth noting that at least a couple of aspects of the way packets are routed around BT's and PN's network mean that you can be suffering from an issue that they aren't. Maybe you are on an SVLAN that is running hot and they aren't - perhaps that's why the BT tester is refusing to run. Then again it could just be because it's a bit naff.

What does this page say:

http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

Also, are your tests wired or wireless? 47ms ping looks like wireless to me. A cabled connection should be 15ms or less.

davenos
Rising Star

My tests are done via a wired connection, i have no wireless devices in my property apart from my phone.
The issue is not just specific to me it does effect my neighbour who is with Plusnet if he drops his session and gets on the southbank gateway which i cannot get away from no matter how many times i try and im told its geographic as to.which gateway your on which is obviously not true, if it is geographic then something is very wrong as i always used to be on a different gateway.
The checker reports psb-ir01 southbank point of presence.
I'll run the thinkbroand test tomorrow as im out at work right now, this issue has only cropped up since the recent return of the packet loss issue and its getting to be one thing after another and its just not funny anymore, I've only had the full service i pay for for 2 weeks out of the last 20 and for most its been unusable for 50%+ of the day without so much as an apology.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@davenos wrote:
it does effect my neighbour who is with Plusnet if he drops his session and gets on the southbank gateway which i cannot get away from no matter how many times i try and im told its geographic as to.which gateway your on which is obviously not true

I didn't think that was the case either. At least not with the old network. It's possible that's changed with the new network though as PN now have more control over the backhaul.

davenos
Rising Star

Just to document the differences between peak and non peak times here is a test i've just done via speedtest(using the same server as last night) and via thinkbroadband,

These tests where done via a wired connection to my laptop, im using a new Ethernet cable and the BT Home Hub 5, no other devices are connected.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

I've checked your line and the capacity in your area and they aren't showing any issues.

I'd recommend raising a fault here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Maxam
Grafter

You're not alone Davenos, my speed keeps dipping in the evening. I'm currently getting around 8mb but come 11pm it goes up to its normal speed of 30mb.
herojan
Grafter

I've seen this as well. 

Any Collingdale gateway is awful, speed all over the place any time of day (even dropping down to 0). Southbank is slighlty better, only seem to be happening at peak times. Other gateways behave themselves. I was on a good gateway for a few days until, for some reason, my PPP connection to plusnet got bumped overnight (no DSL sync drop), and I ended up on a  Collingdale. After various tries I've had to settle for a Southbank connection for now.

This has only been going on for a few weeks, this is all to do with the new network and with all the posts on this forum they must be aware of what is going on but refuse to acknowledge it.

Plusnet, this is not a problem with this individuals line, this is an issue with your gateways and you need to sort it out. 

davenos
Rising Star

I managed to test pretty much all last night and from 4-5pm my speed dropped from 33mbps to 27mbps, from 6-7pm it dropped further to 16mbps, 7-8pm it dropped to 4.5mbps and 8-9pm it dropped to 1mbps and stayed there till 11.05pm when it went back to 33mbps.

My ping also increased from 15ms to 47ms.

Maxam
Grafter

The same thing is happening tonight, again. I was getting 30mb as usual earlier in the day, now down to under 7mb during the peak time. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5862299508
davenos
Rising Star

@Maxam Looks like your in the same boat as a few of us on here(maybe we need more to man the oars to keep the speed up all day😊 ). I raised a fault yesterday morning and got a reply shortly after 11am saying 24 hour testing was being performed on my line, it also said they would call me to.let me know what else of anything was needed, however its been nearly 12 hours since the 24 hours testing ended and nothing so far.
In all honesty im not holding out any hope that it will be fixed.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@davenos have you thought of running something like JD's Auto Speed Tester?

It saves doing all the speedtests yourself and is also a good record of what's happened.

jdspeedtest.PNG

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@herojan wrote:

I've seen this as well. 

Any Collingdale gateway is awful, speed all over the place any time of day (even dropping down to 0). Southbank is slighlty better, only seem to be happening at peak times. Other gateways behave themselves. I was on a good gateway for a few days until, for some reason, my PPP connection to plusnet got bumped overnight (no DSL sync drop), and I ended up on a  Collingdale. After various tries I've had to settle for a Southbank connection for now.

This has only been going on for a few weeks, this is all to do with the new network and with all the posts on this forum they must be aware of what is going on but refuse to acknowledge it.

Plusnet, this is not a problem with this individuals line, this is an issue with your gateways and you need to sort it out.

Very odd. I'm on the Colindale server and my speeds are rock solid 24x7 both before and after the BT fix for the packet loss.

I've been very stable on 24/3 for nearly 2 years now:

I see we are all now showing BT as our ISP.

Let's be careful out there !
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Kremmen

Your IP address is probably one of the old Infonet address that Plusnet are now using (BT bought Infonet years ago). Mine returns Plusnet but I have had a static IP for 7 years.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I've only been with PN a few years and up until the recent switch to the BT Colindale server Speedtest always showed Plusnet.

I'm noting that other London PN members are showing BT now.

Let's be careful out there !