cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for Extra, only getting Unlimited

mefibre
Grafter

Paying for Extra, only getting Unlimited

Have just completed a messy house move (messy on the Plusnet side).
First only ADSL was installed. Now FTTC has been installed as requested. However I'm only getting 38Mbps. The line will support 76 Mbps.
Can this get sorted quickly..? I need to download some heeeuge files by 1pm today.
Here's hoping.
15 REPLIES 15
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Paying for Extra, only getting Unlimited

However I'm only getting 38Mbps. The line will support 76 Mbps.

The product you're on is an up to 38Mb/s service so the speeds you're getting are correct from what I can tell.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mefibre
Grafter

The price I'm paying was quoted for the Fibre Extra product.
Looking at my bill, it shows a charge of £19.99 with a £3.49 discount (for being in an 18 month contract). That's the pricing for Fibre Extra.
Chris is this something you can fix..?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

The current speed are correct. If you want to discuss further, can you raise a ticket please and I'll advise further. Thanks.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
mefibre
Grafter

OK so having done some tedious legwork, I can see what happened here, and the 38Mbps speed I was recieving was not correct. My tariff was in fact a 76Mbps one, it just had an old name. Here is a ThinkBroadband article about the Plusnet tariffs from December 2012.
In early 2013 I signed up to "Unlimited Fibre (Market 2/3)". £19.99/month, 76Mbps, unlimited data. (Today's equivalent = "Unlimited Fibre Extra")
Back then, the 38Mbps fibre product was "Essentials Fibre (Market 2/3)" . £15.99/month, 40GB cap 8am-midnight. (Today's closest equivalent = "Unlimited Fibre")
So fast forward to 2015... I'm pretty certain that my profile was set to 38Mbps simply because my tariff is called "Unlimited Fibre (Market 2/3)" and has no "Extra" in the name. Of course it's the same product as Unlimited Fibre Extra, and if the price had been looked at, that would have been obvious.
Fortunately I found an agent called Chris in billing last night who has at last put me on to the correct current tariff, "Unlimited Fibre Extra" and my speed is now back up to 76Mbps.
However in the process my £3.49/month discount for being in contract has been zapped! I will take that up on Monday... *sigh*
Chris
Legend

I'd spotted the name of the account when I looked the other day, and had seen that you'd been through an account change recently so (incorrectly) assumed that you'd requested the lower speed product. Apologies for that.
I'll go sort the discounts out now for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

I've added them back on to match the previous discounts, let me know if you spot any issues.
mefibre
Grafter

Brilliant, thanks Chris.
One other thing, I'm not quite sure if this has been affected too, but I had been promised a free month of service due to the large number of mistakes made in my home move.
Has that been affected by the service change? I saw a service note on my account that said "all discounts cancelled" with a list of monthly dates, but not sure whether it included the free month discount as well as the regular £3.49 discount.
Chris
Legend

I've added the discounts on at £3.50 (it showed that rather than £3.49 so you've got an extra penny off) and on top of this I've added an additional discount for £16.49 for next month. This added to the £3.50 should entirely discount the FTTC cost.
mefibre
Grafter

Perfect, thank you.
One last thing! (There's always something...)
Now I've started reading the Service Notices...
My package change was manually forced through last night, but this automatic message appeared on my account at 10pm last night:
Service Notification
10:03pm, Friday 20 Feb 2015
An update report has been received for this account.
The broadband order is being processed by the supplier.
The activation will complete by midnight on 28/02/2015.

If that happens, will it zap the discounts again..?
Chris
Legend

No, that won't make any difference to the discounts as they are only affected through package changes on our side. I'm intrigued by that order though as there shouldn't be any need for one so I'm going to find out what it is.
mefibre
Grafter

Good to know, thanks again Chris.
I think it's the remnants of what happened last night. The agent helping me, another Chris, applied the change in the usual way which schedules it for end of month, then found a Team Leader to force it through immediately. Looks like some part of the automatic process is still going through for month end.
Chris
Legend

Right, from what I can tell there is absolutely no need for that order to be there. I'm going to ask someone to double check this for me on Monday.
I think it's been triggered from when your account on our side moved from the incorrect Unlimited to Unlimited Extra to provide the 80/20 service, but this isn't needed as the line was already 80/20.
I'm going to pass an email to a colleague to check this on Monday as I'm out of the office next week, but it's nothing to worry about anyway.
mefibre
Grafter

Great. Well it's good to finally be on the right package with the right billing, this has dragged on since 27 January!
Enjoy the rest of your day - hope you're not working all weekend.
Chris
Legend

Here until 5.30 today and then off for the majority of next week. Missing out on the sun here today, but that's the job!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.