cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Past 3 days, regular dropouts from 8-9pm onwards.

tree56uk
Dabbler

Past 3 days, regular dropouts from 8-9pm onwards.

As if almost by clockwork, the connection has been dropping out in the evening at pretty much the same time. There's usually about 3 dropouts a night, all happening within 45 minutes. I have done the usual thing of resetting the BT box and Router but to no avail. As a side note, speed has gone down to around 30mb's (which is bearable, but still not correct).

Any staff help that could look into the lovely data behind my account and connection would be grand Smiley

6 REPLIES 6
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Past 3 days, regular dropouts from 8-9pm onwards.

Hey @tree56uk

Where is your router located exactly?

1. Is it near anything else electrical that might come on on a timer?
  2. Is the router connected directly into the Master Socket or is it an extension?

Given that connectivity seem to drop out at a certain time points towards some kind of interference caused by something that comes on via a timer, anything like your boiler?

I'm not in the office at the moment so I don't have the capability to test your line in search for answers at the moment, so apologies for that, I'm sure another member of staff will get to you soon though with further details around that.

tree56uk
Dabbler

Thanks for getting back to me Chris.

Nope, nothing on timers nearby, and its plugged into the master socket.

Since I posted, there's has been no dropouts, as has been the case the past several days. It always seems to be fine after 10pm.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Whilst I can see the disconnections...

...testing your line isn't identifying the cause of that...

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 66.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed

20.0 Mbps

Voice Line Test Result Pass

If you're still using an Openreach modem and router combination, I'd recommend next narrowing down where the issue may lie by plugging a laptop or PC into the LAN1 port of the modem, setting up a PPPoE connection.

This guide will explain how to do that: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Fibre-help-How-to-set-up-a-PPPoE-dialler-in-Vista-Windows-7/ba...

Failing that, it's probably best to report the fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so that we can arrange an engineer.

Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tree56uk
Dabbler

Anoush, 

Thank you for getting back to me. That solution would not be the best as it seems that would only fix a connection for one PC connected by a wire to the modem. If I am reading that solution correctly that is. The issue affects more than the one PC in the house, at the most inconvenient times (disconnections for gamers, cardinal sin aha 😛 ). 

However I have checked on the router GUI (Asus) and the WAN connection type is PPPoE already (as defined by the setup instructions I followed back in the day). 

I will see if the same happens again tonight during the window in which it happens, and I may well look into booking an engineer if I feel the need to. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems, though I wasn't recommending this a solution, but as a means to determine if the issue lay with your router before we arranged an engineer. If you'd like to go for the engineer anyway, let us know once you've reported the fault.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator Note by Dick (Strat)

Topic moved to a more appropriate board.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine