cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pants download and upload speeds after line fault. Is it normal?

FIXED
ashyt16
Grafter

Pants download and upload speeds after line fault. Is it normal?

OK for the last couple of days we've had a line fault manifesting in no dial tone.
The Internet still worked, however very slowly and with frequent disconnects.

The line seems to have been fixed today even though no engineer called at the house?
However the effect of this has somehow seriously reduced the previous speeds I was getting.
As can be seen at the link below in a previous post I made, the average download was 23mbps and upload was 1.5mbps, which isn't that great to begin with.
https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Getting-fed-up-with-constant-connection-drops-on-fibre...

I have never been able to resolve the regular disconnection issues discussed in the above post, even when going so far as buying a top spec netgear modem/router.

I have been putting up with the disconnections, but the speeds have pretty much been constant until now.
Why the sudden massive drop?
I no longer sync at 24mbps, but at 18mbps for download. Download speed is actually around 15mbps.
The upload sync has also dropped to almost half.
Now sync is at 799kbps. Upload speed is a pathetic 0.3 mbps.

All I want is the previous speeds as 8mbps is a huge drop for my connection.
24 REPLIES 24
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Pants download and upload speeds after line fault. Is it normal?

It sounds like you lost the connection of  one of the two telephone cables, hence the loss of dial tone whilst the broadband signal staggered along.

From your SNR results it looks like DLM has automatically slowed your line. Unless it's also been capped you're probably going to have to wait until it automatically reduces the SNR and re-establishes your speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ashyt16
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. I hope you're right. It has crept up slightly, I just hope I've not been bodged and been reconnected to some dodgy wires.

Also if what you say is true why don't the engineers check the line connection afterwards and reset as necessary?
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@ashyt16,

I've just checked your account and the profile was too low there too, so I've increased this for you which should take effect almost straight away. Can you let us know if this makes any difference. 

ashyt16
Grafter

Hi, thanks for taking a look, however I've rebooted the router and there's been no change at all.

It seems from the screenshot below that BT is now limiting the connection speed.

2019-08-10 (1).png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @ashyt16 

There's nothing limiting your speeds, you're seeing a max speed of around 17mbps due to the IP profile which in turn is due to the speed your router is in sync at of 19mbps.

Our testing is showing a high resistance fault somewhere along the line and to progress this fault with Openreach we would need to arrange an engineer visit.

Firstly what I'd recommend doing is making sure the the issue isn't caused by anything internal like wiring or equipment. Can you connect your router into the test socket as explained Here?

If you still get issues I'd then be inclined to send you another router assuming you've not got another router to try as the one we've sent you is over 2 years old so would be out of warranty/incur an engineer call out charge if faulty.

Let us know if you'd want us to post out a replacement router.

Failing the above I'd head on over to http://faults.plus.net to report a broadband fault to us nudging us over here once you've done this and we'll get it picked up and progressed on to our suppliers as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ashyt16
Grafter

Thanks, but I don't use the Plusnet router, so no point in sending another router. I now use a Netgear Nighthawk d7000v2.

However I did try plugging the Plusnet router back in to no avail.
I doubt the issue is internal as there are no extensions or other equipment connected to the Mk 4 master socket except one phone, which I have disconnected to see what happens. I believe this will have the same effect as plugging a micro filter into the test socket.

As previously mentioned the issue started immediately after an external line fault(no dial tone) , which we reported to Plusnet.
An engineer must have been out to fix the fault as we now have a dial tone, but no one attended our address.

I'm pretty confident the issue is not our side. I'm suspicious that because of the issue with the line the equipment at the exchange has reacted and dropped the speed OR the wires have been swapped.

Whichever it is there's obviously a problem.

Can you advise further how you would like me to proceed?

Thanks.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @ashyt16 

It's probably worth connecting your router into the test socket as per the above guide as this will rule out any internal wiring including the faceplate of the master socket which is part of the internal wiring. The demarcation point of responsibility is up to and including the test socket that we're and our suppliers are responsible for.

If you continue to experience problems then please report a broadband fault at http://faults.plus.net. It's also worth noting that the previous fault report was a phone fault because the phone line was testing faulty.

Any engineer we send out on the back of a broadband fault should be suitably trained to look at a broadband issue.

Thanks again.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ashyt16
Grafter

@Gandalf

OK thanks. I'll give the test socket a go.

Thanks for the help by the way. I know you guys get loads of complaints on the same thing with people wanting more speed, but TBH if I was getting 79mbps down and it dropped 8-9mbps I wouldn't bat an eyelid, but 24mbps to 15mbps is a rather large chunk to lose and even worse when your upload has dropped to ADSL speeds.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, I get that every megabit counts especially if you normally receive a relatively poor speed to begin with.
From what you’ve said it’s possible the issue may very well be external but there’s always a possibility the problem is caused by something internal which would trigger a call out charge if we arrange an engineer visit to find that out so I’m just wanting us to cover all bases first to try to avoid this.
Let us know how things go.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ashyt16
Grafter

@Gandalf

Hi, I have raised a fault as you advised as plugging into the test socket made no difference at all.
Thanks.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @ashyt16

Thanks for coming back to us.

I've raised this to our suppliers for you and updated your fault ticket here.

If you could give us a nudge when you've updated the ticket that would be great.

Thanks

Dave

ashyt16
Grafter

@randallflag
Hi, can you advise me.
The ticket is asking me to provide 3 time slots between 8-1 and 1-6.
Does this mean specify which 3 days and whether morning or afternoon or can I request a specific time?

Also the missus works literally 5mins down the road, would the engineer be able to notify her before he attends our address so she could just pop over to let him in.
Getting time off work at short notice is difficult for me.

Thanks
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @ashyt16,

It asks to give three preferences, 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices, just in case the first choice isn't available so we can reduce a back and forth. The time slots are set I'm afraid in the AM or PM, so for example if you chose 16th AM for an appointment then the engineer could arrive tomorrow at any point between 8am and 1pm.

We can pop some contact details and request a call ahead to that number half an hour before arrival, but I'd stress it's not a guarantee that the engineer will actually call ahead though recently they have tended to be quite good at ensuring they do. When you update the ticket if you pop the best contact name and number on there we can get it added. 

ashyt16
Grafter

@JOLO
Hi, I have updated the time slots and a contact number.

Thanks.