cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painfully Slow WI-FI on Iphone

peterangers

Painfully Slow WI-FI on Iphone

Hi
I have Plusnet fibre and the wifi is fine on laptops, desktops and other devices, eg TV connected to my wifi network. I have constant speeds of 36-38mbps d/l downstairs and 25-30mbps dl through an extender for upstairs. However, when it comes to my iphone wherever I am in the house, it's PAINFULLY slow or times out after a while. Can anyone help me with this?
I've trawled through the Internet about wifi issues I could have on my iphone, gone to the Apple shop with no real answers that have helped. This has been the same issue whatever iphone I have had, whether it's been the 5, 5s or iphone 6s I have now. I've changed router from the one given to me during installation to a 'top of the range' Netgear one, but the same problems occur, with the connection being extremely slow. I don't think it's the extender either. I use my laptop upstairs without issue.
Of course, I'd much rather use the wifi in the house on my iphone rather than the 4G, as that will eat into my data allowance. But sometimes I don't have a choice but to use the mobile data as it's driving me crazy! Any help on this would be great.
Thanks-Peter
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) All caps title edited as per forum rule.
5 REPLIES 5
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Re: Painfully slow wi-fi on Iphone

If your router is reasonably new and decent spec, it probably supports both 2.4 and 5GHz Wifi. Do you know which you're using?
I get a pretty constant 35-37Mbps on the laptop at home, but for some reason if I run the same speed test on the wife's Galaxy Tab it only reports about 15Mbps when using 2.4GHz Wifi. As soon as I connect to the 5GHz instead, the Tab gets the same speeds as the laptop.
On my Asus router you can just create a different SSID for each frequency so that you can identify them when connecting. I'd imagine your Netgear would offer something similar.
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Re: Painfully slow wi-fi on Iphone

P.S.  The general view is that the 2.4GHz frequency is more prone to interference, as it's also used by other domestic wireless devices such as DECT phones. The newer 5GHz frequency doesn't suffer this problem, but does have shorter range than 2.4GHz.
peterangers

Re: PAINFULLY SLOW WI-FI ON IPHONE

Thanks, I've tried 2.4GHz frequency, 5GHz frequency, the Netgear extender network, all pretty slow on the iphone as a whole. It's primarily the iphone-no matter what frequency I use. At the moment, the iphone is connected to the extender's network, as it has the best reception. But still slow most of the time. I've also changed channels on my router, no difference.
I use the 2.4GHz frequency on laptop, desktop etc.
BrightonRock1
Grafter

Re: Painfully Slow WI-FI on Iphone

There was a thread a while back http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143308.0.html about slow downloads from Apple sites. Is your iPhone slow only when accessing Apple store etc.?
peterangers

Re: Painfully Slow WI-FI on Iphone

It's slow for anything, really. The Facebook app, visiting websites or Apple Store. I'll check your link. Thanks for taking an interest!