cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packetloss and ping spikes - New FTTC connection

Renavon

Packetloss and ping spikes - New FTTC connection

Good morning,

A couple months ago I upgraded from DSL to FTTC and received a new Hub One modem.

We had issues with packet loss with the DSL connection, but I figured that was due to the 1mbit upload capacity of the network. We currently have 36mb down and 10mbit up, and download speeds seem fine.

I do notice that when using voice communication software (Discord) and various online games there is an inconsistant amount of packetloss. On discord this regularly rises between 20% - 30%. A pingtest -t to google shows regular timeouts.

This problem occurs on multiple desktops which are connected with CAT5e, and replacing in-home cables to no avail.  

I have added tracert's to Discord and Pingbox based on other posts, but I'm not quite sure what they are telling me.

Can you please advise what next steps to take, and possibly confirm all settings in exterior network are correct?

3 REPLIES 3
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Packetloss and ping spikes - New FTTC connection

Hi @Renavon, welcome to the forum.

I have tested the connection and cannot detect any issues with it. The data from the attached screenshot look fine.

Would you be able to please use PingPlotter for these tests while and submit your results on this thread?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Renavon

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the screenshots.

If you've tried the troubleshooting steps Here and are still seeing packet loss and latency spikes, could you report a fault to us Here as it's likely we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further. 

Let us know how it goes and if you do report a fault as we'd be happy to get it picked up as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet