cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss while gaming. Any help appreciated.

MarcusA
Dabbler

Packet loss while gaming. Any help appreciated.

Hi

Ive been a plusnet customer for 4 years. Pretty much sick of the packet loss I've been experiencing during gaming sessions since the end of 2016.

I recently spoke to Plusnet, to try and get a Hub One to see if the packet loss issues improved.

Turns out the packet loss issue is even worse with the Hub One. The teleporting and packet loss spikes I experienced using my Openreach modem and Asus router, turn into 4-5 second freezes where I can't move, or hear/speak to friends while using the Hub One.

I've also borrowed a TPLINK Archer VR900 to test...and it suffers the same plight. The packet loss appears as a total freeze where I can't communicate with friends or play for a few seconds.

Does the openreach modem/router combo cope with packet loss better than the All-in-one VDSL routers?

(Just to clarify, my xbox one is wired, and has been assigned a static IP and placed in the DMZ whilst performing any tests.)

To be honest, I just want the packet loss issues to be sorted out. It's driving me crazy. Worse part is, I stupidly agreed to another contract so I could try out the Hub One.

Can anyone help at all? I've opened a ticket but was wondering were others still experiencing packet loss?

What gateway do people generally hop to, to try and avoid the packet loss now?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Marcus
4 REPLIES 4
pingtester
Hooked

Re: Packet loss while gaming. Any help appreciated.

There seemed to be an issue with packet loss over the last few weeks but it has improved dramatically.

My connection was like:

My Broadband Ping - PlusNet

Now it is:

My Broadband Ping - PN

If you've eliminated the obvious and you do not have a line fault, my suggestion would be to start gathering data/evidence of packet loss. E.g., set up a thinkbroadband ping test; get pingplotter running, run some pingtest.net tests, etc. I seem to get further with support if I can back up my claims...

Good luck.

pingtester
Hooked

Duplicate post removed

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Two post released from the Spam Filter

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MarcusA
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies.

So, it turns out that the freezing I was experiencing with the vdsl routers turns out to be coincidence.

Xbox released a system update for preview members and it is causing freezing and brief connection interruption.

I am still however, experiencing slight packet loss when I run tests. I'll continue to test and see how things turn out