cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss, slow speeds and tcp reset attacks.

nos911
Dabbler

Packet loss, slow speeds and tcp reset attacks.

So I moved to plusnet on the 4th December and its been constant issues ever since, I'm suffering packet loss(from 8% to 28%) all day, slow throughput and my logs are full of suspected Tcp reset attacks, I was previously with TalkTalk for 18 months and never encounted any issues.
I'm currently trying to update a game on my Xbox one and getting a whopping 534kbps on a line syncing at 77mbps(connected via ethermet).
4 REPLIES 4
nos911
Dabbler

Re: Packet loss, slow speeds and tcp reset attacks.

My connection is getting worse, my in game ping is now averaging 548ms from a wired connection with packet loss going as high as 63%.
Peak hour streaming is pretty much impossible.
It says something when I'm regretting leaving talktalk who provided a fault free 18 months previously.
Are the forums monitored by plusnet staff or is it customer based support?
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @nos911 

Plunset staff used be more active in the forum than they are now.

So you are more likely to get a customer response, like this one.

Can you post an example tracert or traceroute, depending on your OS, to the BBC and one to the gaming server you use?

Are you connecting via WiFi?

Is so could you please test on a PC connected by Ethernet to the router?

Regards

Richard

nos911
Dabbler

Its kind of pointless posting information if there are no plusnet staff here to offer assistance, I am really regretting moving from TalkTalk.
As mentioned in my previous posts I am connected using Ethernet cable and the pings are huge and the speeds very low, I have tried multiple games(fortnite, warzone, Battlefield 4,1 &5, Rainbow six seige and Black ops cold war), I get rubber banding, very slow rendering and on the server browsers my ping to European servers is 1 or 2 bars out of 5(shows red, on a healthy connection it would be 5 out of 5 and green).

I'm either on a very congested line/exchange or something is very wrong with plusnets network, the last time I experienced anything like this was with Vodafone who had to let me leave penalty free after just 2 months of service because it would take up to 6 months to fix(very congested line).
nos911
Dabbler

So it looks like I've narrowed down the causes, from 7am till 8:58am my throughout was 72.47mbps(line sync of 77.8mbps), ping of 12ms and zero packet loss(tested via Ethernet cable on my Xbox one and 5ghz wireless on my A70 mobile).
From just after 9am till 7 minutes ago my throughput was at best 22mbps and at worst 467kbps(again test vis ethernet and wireless) with my ping being anywhere from 200ms to 865ms with packet loss upto 67%, after 10pm everything is back to normal.

So either im suffering servere peak time congestion or Plusnet are traffic shaping/managing at peak times, I guess I will have to call and see what they say, but I feel I will have to leave and go back to TalkTalk.