Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss on otherwise perfect FTTC line

Bobsta
Grafter

Packet loss on otherwise perfect FTTC line

Hi folks,

I'm fortunate enough to live close enough to my cabinet that I get a full 80/20 sync with very low line error rates. My line has been sync'd for nearly 50 days and current modem stats are:

Max:	Upstream rate = 32054 Kbps, Downstream rate = 82364 Kbps
Bearer:	0, Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps
Bearer:	1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State:	L0
Mode:			VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:		Profile 17a
TPS-TC:			PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:		U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:		No Defect
Training Status:	Showtime
		Down		Up
SNR (dB):	 6.1		 16.5
Attn(dB):	 9.0		 0.0

Since Link time = 49 days 17 hours 2 min 45 sec
FEC:		33945		301403
CRC:		0		1729
ES:		0		1583
SES:		0		0
UAS:		0		0
LOS:		0		0
LOF:		0		0
LOM:		0		0

....these are constantly updated at http://home.bobsta.com/fullstats.htm

My issue is that I've been experiencing high latency peaks and packet loss since around 4pm on Monday 1 July.

Prior to this date, my TBB graphs typically looked like this:

27 June 201927 June 2019

Or on a busy weekend with kids streaming stuff throughout the day:

29 June 201929 June 2019Note everything is very quiet during the night. I find it slightly annoying that streaming seems to create such high maximum latency - given the amount of bandwidth we have available - and I have QoS on my UniFi ER-X router active to try to alleviate that... but the average latency is bearable and packet loss is essentially zero.

However, as from Monday 1 July this all changed. No new devices have been added to my home network, nothing has been rebooted or changed... and yet now we get this:

1 July 20191 July 20193 July 20193 July 2019... packet loss present throughout the night and day - even at times when there's no-one at home / nothing going on on the network.

Right now my live graph is: Live graphLive graph

This morning I rebooted my router (and upgraded the firmware) to eliminate it as the source of the issue. It hasn't helped.

I haven't restarted the modem yet (Huawei HG612) as I don't want to introduce a resync if one isn't necessary.

Could you investigate on your side please PlusNet? This looks like some fairly serious congestion / contention somewhere.

Thanks,

Bobsta

6 REPLIES 6
Bobsta
Grafter

Re: Packet loss on otherwise perfect FTTC line

Quick update to say that I've now rebooted the modem and the issue is still present.

Current live quality monitoring graph: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/26d8cec166d92a54d00e008dd2db53223b...

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Bobsta, thanks for getting in touch.

I've tested the line and this hasn't detected any issues, we are also seeing a stable connection and your VLAN is 'green' and showing no signs of congestion.

Could you please confirm if this is being seen via a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, could you please test a wired connection to see if you see the same results?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Bobsta
Grafter

Hi LaurenB,

Thanks for checking. But no wireless in use here. These tests are externally pinging my router.

Any tests I’ve run within my network I’m sure to always use a directly GigE connected machine. Right now ping speeds are looking pretty stable and consistent - but during busy periods this week I’ve suffered horrible jitter when working from home and doing Zoom calls.

I guess I can disconnect my router for a few hours to try to pick up a new IP address on a different gateway. But to be honest I shouldn’t have to do that.

Thanks,

Bobsta

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @Bobsta,

Thank you for getting back to us confirming the requested details and for the issue you are experiencing. Can advise if you are using a VPN to complete work from home and your zoom calls?

If you are not then please can you provide a trace route when these issues are happening so that we can see what is happening to the connection during that time.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Bobsta
Grafter

Hi Sammy,

OK, thanks, if I experience it again I'll run some traceroutes. Are there any particular IPs you'd like me to hit?

Earlier today I determined I was connected to your psb-ir01 gateway which I understand others have also had issues with. I took my router down for a few hours and on restart picked up a completely different subnet and gateway, and everything seems fine. Long may it continue!

Thanks,

Bobsta

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Bobsta,

I'm glad to hear that your connection is looking better after you turned your router off for a while. Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you experience any further connection issues. If you need to do a traceroute, we'd recommend trying a high traffic site, such as bbc.co.uk

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team