Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss on Unlimited Fibre Extra connection

nr
Dabbler

Packet loss on Unlimited Fibre Extra connection

Hi all,

We've been experiencing bad packet loss on our link since sometime after the 12th June, and have been going back and forth on a support ticket trying to get to the bottom of it.  We've had a ticket open for over a month and had visits from three BT engineers who have replaced the master socket, rewired our poll, rewired the cabinet - we've replaced the splitters and the modem - twice.  Nothing has made any difference.

Attached is a copy of BQM performance for today, you can see when the engineer was in the cabinet!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what our next steps might be in diagnosing the problem, it's super painful trying to use anything with 20% packet loss.

Thanks,

Neil.

23 REPLIES 23
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Packet loss on Unlimited Fibre Extra connection

Thanks for getting in touch @nr

I'm sorry to hear you've been having packet loss issues.

We've retested your line and we can't find any issues but due to the nature of the fault, I suspect the issue may lie elsewhere rather than the line itself.

I've taken this on personally for you and I'll provide further updates to the open ticket on your account shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
nr
Dabbler

Thanks @MatthewWheeler .

If you need me to carry out any more diagnostic steps then don't hesitate to reach out.

nr
Dabbler

Hi @MatthewWheeler,

Attached is an updated trace from this today as you requested on the ticket.  Does this provide any insights for you?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to us @nr.

I'm looking into this for you and I'll update you shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
nr
Dabbler

Hi @MatthewWheeler 

Have you guys been carrying out any fault finding actions, we've had a 12 hour outage? 

The monitoring chart does not look very good.

Is there any update on what you think the cause may be?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @nr,

I'm sorry that you've experienced a long outage and for the length of time that this fault has been ongoing for. I can see from your connection log that things are still looking very intermittent, with a long outage this morning:

Our suppliers have advised that, since the latest engineer work hasn't resolved the problem, we'll need to arrange another engineer appointment but allow at least two working days' notice for the visit. This is to allow them time to complete joint investigations with the Openreach case management teams prior to the visit. Please can you add your availability to the ticket here if you get back in touch on here once you've done this, we'll pick this back up and get that booked in for you.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
nr
Dabbler

Hi @MatthewWheeler @EmilyD ,

Is it possible for you to provide an update with the current state of the investigation?  I provided a range of dates as requested at the beginning of August - has an engineer appointment been scheduled?  If it has, could you let me know when?

Thanks,

Neil.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @nr,

I'm really sorry to see this has not been picked up yet, I've just tried to book you in for the latest date you've given, however, it is not available. Please reply to the support ticket with your availability from 27/08 and then give us a nudge here once done so we can progress the fault.

Thanks.

nr
Dabbler

Hi @Mads @MatthewWheeler 

I have updated the ticket with more dates for you.

Also to let you know that the connection is now completely dead (been down nearly a day now) and the phone line has audible clicks and hiss on it which we've not heard before (this is new since the last engineers visit).  I hope that the next engineers don't just fix this issue but can look deeper to find the underlying packet-loss issue too.  My concern is that they need to get us back online first before investigating further.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/63370e92990ae7d83ee8e62f0277a3298e...

Please let me know what the next steps are.

Neil.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @nr,

I have updated the fault ticket, please click here to view my response.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
nr
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler nudge

Serious question - does updating the ticket not trigger anything?  Do I need to call you out in public or call you to get any progress?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to us @nr

Apologies for the delayed response I wasn't in the office yesterday.

I'll get this chased up for you and update the ticket shortly

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
nr
Dabbler

Thanks @MatthewWheeler , appreciate you owning this.

nr
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler I closed the ticket by accident!  Facepalm....

Have opened new ticket 193659506 to replace it (unless you are able to re-open the original 191291790?).

Please feel free to continue to remove the static IP address and see if that helps with the packet loss issue.

Thanks,

Neil.