cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss issues and odd support

Pantho1986
Hooked

Packet loss issues and odd support

"Our Support Team have replied to your Question (reference number: 159407099) with the comment shown below."

Hi guys, I recall you had great support on forums years ago and been with you on/off or ages. So I hope you still do.

I've been having VERY bad packet loss on my plusnet line for 8-12 weeks now, finally complained recently.
On Oct 13th a test was done by support and it noticed issues, was told fixed within 72hours.
On Oct 16th a test was done and told no issues, try not using WiFi or a new router.

I also used to get 60-70 speed and now get 50-54, they said that's fine as advertised was 52-70... Anything over 30-40 and stable would be fine, I couldn't care less about speed really, but the fact it used to profile at 60-70 and not is 50-54 is very meaningful to it's quality right?

So what is it? issue or not? Considering I reported intermittent issues you can't say 'issue on 13th' and then 'fine on 16th so closed'...
I'm most certainly still getting the issues tonight, actually worst than usual with 100% packet loss for 10-20 second periods every 20-30 minutes.

I am connected directly to my router via ethernet (1.5m cable), and I don't believe it's a router issue.

Over 180minutes I have a 4% packet loss after my router and 0% to all my router, and during periods of 'unusuable' packet loss I get 97% packet loss to external hops.

Router loss is 0% over 24 hours.

Route list: https://i.imgur.com/bYlb8nM.png - As you can see, first outside my property is where the intermittent loss is triggering.

Now I work for an ISP and do understand how support works, but I'm trying to give you folks as much information as possible and im getting very slow and unhelpful replies.

Regardless of if I'm in a work conference call or playing a fun game of cs/smite. Randomly dropping packets for 20 seconds every single night is unacceptable.

10 REPLIES 10
Pantho1986
Hooked

Re: Packet loss issues and odd support

Also, I appear to get extremely high latency to all hosts at random peaks.

https://i.imgur.com/IoKkgtq.png

-edit

And I have a fairly good knowledge of networking ... My phone, laptop, pc, tablet or silly Alexa was not connected or downloading at the times of the insane latency/packet loss. Nothing but my PC, with net limitter running to track all network activity and nothing was using bandwidth.

Certainly was not being saturated from my line.

alan2402
Hooked

You are experiencing high ping times even on the hop to your own router.

I would suspect that there is something wrong with the router or device being used to carry out the test as you shouldn’t be experiencing pl there, or such a high average ping time to a directly cabled device.

Alan
Pantho1986
Hooked

I do confuse with my typing so I'll forgive, but as did clearly say i am on a WIRED ETHERNET CONNECTION and I am using wired 1.5m cable, and tried multiple cables... Although yes, I had not looked properly at that last winmtr report.

It does seem to suggest either the NIC on PC or the router is to blame, I can borrow a Dratek from work tomorrow to test the issue with. But this would not explain why my profile was at 60-70 for 6 months then dropped to 50-54 speed.

Most end users don't have commercial vDSL routers laying around to test with though.

My main gripe is: I report intermittent issue, test on 13th shows issues but on 16th no issues so they close the support request? Do they not actually read the word intermittent?

Also If it is my router after testing then how they expect an end user to do this level of testing or have spare vDSL routers to test with? Why has speed degraded from 60-70 to 50-54 if it's internal network/router based etc.

I did put my support ticket number in my post so an official answer would be good.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had.

There are numerous reasons why FTTC speeds can drop but the most common one is crosstalk which essentially is interference from other FTTC lines. As the speeds are within the estimates for the line there isn't much further we can do regarding that.

With regards to the ping issues there isn't much more I can advise then what has already been said above. With regards to testing another router some people do have a spare which is why we ask the question. It isn't necessary to progress a fault.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Pantho1986
Hooked

@MatthewWheeler My main question is why one line test showed issues and one did not.

Would this not backup my intermittent issues?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I can see our tests highlighted interference but there can be numerous causes for this.

Do you have any electrical equipment near the router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Pantho1986
Hooked

None, I'm very away of how stuff like that works and the router is placed around 60cm from the master socket with nothing else plugged in.

I will (assuming I get time) get out a a draytek from work and set that up again, see if it solves the issues before I pester more.

As said, my main gripe was that issue then not issue would suggest intermittent issues imo ... which is exactly what I reported.

I've swapped over to 5ghz wifi from cat6e ethernet and still getting them, so it's either my router or external line.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Pantho1986 wrote:

None, I'm very away of how stuff like that works and the router is placed around 60cm from the master socket with nothing else plugged in.

I've seen more than one case where the 'noise' emanated from the Router 'wall wart'  power supply.  Worth a try if you have a spare power unit?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pantho1986
Hooked

Have, they use same power as the bt home hubs.

Also the power is fed from a reasonable distance from the router, the plug part isn't actually close to the router.

Plus the area in question worked fine for 18m so doubt it's interference from distance to power suddenly.

dgw1
Dabbler

Sorry for intruding, but would powering down the router for a couple of minutes together with a ipconfig/flushdns and possibly even factory resetting the router help?