Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss and ping spikes

KCL80
Dabbler

Packet loss and ping spikes

Hi,

I've been with Plusnet for 4 years now, recently been getting a lot of instances of packet loss and ping spikes during online gaming.

I've contacted you over Twitter Help, a line check was done but no issues found. I'm connected by an ethernet cable, and have restarted my router several times the past few weeks. This seems to help for a short time (maybe a day or 2), but then the problem returns.

Can you look into this further please?

7 REPLIES 7
KCL80
Dabbler

Re: Packet loss and ping spikes

Not overly impressed with this ongoing issue, or lack of response here.

Might change Internet provider!

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Welcome to the forums and apologies for the delay. We're a little bit late on replies at the moment but we're usually a lot quicker.

The team that respond on Twitter are the team that respond here (and it's the same queue) so there is no benefit in terms of speeds to using either. Here though, you may also get insight from other customers.

Your connection is testing fine in terms of sync rate (40/10) with no errors.

Are general throughput speeds OK? Are you able to provide examples of your traceroutes/pings so we can take a look for you?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
KCL80
Dabbler

Hi Tony, thanks for the reply.

It's weird because yes, general throughputs are perfectly fine. 90% of the time smooth and quick.

Frequent (every couple of minutes) ping spikes and packet loss alerts/rubberbanding that last for 2-5 seconds or so. I'm going to try and use Pingplotter to get some info together. Will post shortly.

KCL80
Dabbler

I've attached a screenshot from Pingplotter for the last few minutes. I'm not overly knowledgable on the gubbins but can see one or 2 things here that might be an issue (namely hop 3). For most of the tracking the ping count was behind all the others by 6 or 7 and 75% packet loss sounds like it may be an issue.

Can you take a look and let me know what you think?

Google Ping.PNG

KCL80
Dabbler

I've also noticed ping is fine during off-peak times (both am and pm). Much worse during the day/early-mid evening. Last night was terrible.

Again, router restart helped but should this be needed every few days?
FlyingFish
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I get a similar issue: bursts of high ping times and packet loss, which throws me off work conference calls.

A router reset helped reduce the problem but did not cure it.

KCL80
Dabbler

Sorry, I've only just seen this reply.

Router resets do help but the problem reoccurs intermittently.

Thank you for your response!