cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss and phone issues

BertieWooster
Hooked

Packet loss and phone issues

Since my service started recently and increasingly so since I have been having large spikes of packet loss which happen all day, although usually seems to happen in clusters. The phone also suddenly had no dial tone 3 days a go, which just came back on now. Previously to this the line had a lot of crackling/ noise. I did the auto fault checker three days a go which gave the following:

Fault location: CE
Diagnosis code: T108
Description: FAULT - Dis In Network

I did not receive an update so I went onto live chat support today. The advisor told me a fault agent will call my mobile with an update today, however has not yet.

The drop wire from the pole to the house seems to be sagging a lot, more than I previously remember and is going through some dense trees of a neighbour.

13 REPLIES 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Packet loss and phone issues

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you're having issues and haven't had a call yet.

I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues with your service following the line fault being rectified.

Are you seeing the packet loss when using a wired or wireless connection?

Having said that I've rejected the clear our suppliers have given us based on the sagging drop wire you've mentioned though this may not actually be affecting your service and it's likely our suppliers will come back asking us to book an engineer visit with you, but we'll let you know when we know more regarding that.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BertieWooster
Hooked

Thank you for your reply and for looking into it.

I am using a wired connection.

I have attached an image from PingPlotter showing a recent packet loss spike.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for that.

Could you try tracing pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com instead? Google rate limit ICMP which means they'd reject a lot of pings as they'll be prioritising traffic instead of replying back to you. This can give a false reading.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BertieWooster
Hooked

Sure thing.

Attached is an image when tracing pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com showing packet loss soon after starting the trace. These large spikes happen randomly, then take around 10-15 minutes for the packet loss to slowly return to 0, before another spike occuring.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for that.

Could you try the steps here letting us know how it goes?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BertieWooster
Hooked

I have followed the steps on the link you posted and am now using the test socket. However packet loss spikes are still occuring. I have attached an image from pingplotter which shows a spike and until around 10 minutes later where it has slowly dropped to 0.4 PL. The phone is working now, however has noise on the line which comes and goes. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the detail.

I think we ought to arrange another engineer to take a look at the phone line as the crackling sounds like it may be the underlying issue. I've updated your fault ticket: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=186199320

If you can reply to that with your availability, nudging us here when you've done so we'll be happy to book the visit in.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BertieWooster
Hooked

Thanks for your reply.

I have now updated the ticket with my availability.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers, I've booked you in for an engineer visit to happen on 15/01/19 between 8am and 1pm.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BertieWooster
Hooked

The engineer visted today, however I am still getting packet loss spikes. I have updated the support ticket with more information.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @BertieWooster,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues with the service. I've reviewed your fault this morning and raised a response via the ticket on your account, which can be viewed here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
BertieWooster
Hooked

I left it a few days to see if the packet loss stopped, which it seemed to be doing. Until yesterday when it was quite bad nearly all day. I have responded to the ticket and also included a pingplotter image here.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I've just dealt with this for you and have added an update to the account: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=186199320

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team