cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss and High latency

alan666
Grafter

Packet loss and High latency

Hi all, would it be possible for some one from PN to check my line ?

I am a gamer and am having major issues with lag etc. My down and up speeds are showing around 50+ down and 17 up, however when gaming on xbox one (this is with any game played) my latency is 150+ ms, it is getting to the point as it is impossible to game. I have a 80/20 package, and allways have the xbox one wired.

Thanks

35 REPLIES 35
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Packet loss and High latency

Hi Allan,

While PN staff run line tests can you give any IPs or server details of the games you play?

If from a PC what do you get if you traceroute to them as that might show lots of lag on the first link or later down.

There is another tread going where some IP ranges seem to get 150ms lag to i3d peered games and multiplay.

Would also be a good check to ping your xbox from a PC on the network just to check that is sub 1ms to rule out internal issues there too.

alan666
Grafter

Hi @MrSilver thanks for the reply, How do I ping the xbox from my laptop? I am not very up to this sort of tech stuff, I can not find any ip server info on Any of the games I play im afraid. We also have a tv box quite a high spec one and that buffers quite alot, also with the smart tv connected hard wired to the tv we have buffering issues with most streaming where as it never used to be a problem. Yes I have commented on the other thread also which shows similar problems. Thanks
MrSilver
Pro

Hi,

on your xbox under the network settings you might be able to see its ip, or you may need to look at then devices in your hub management screen to find its ip, once you have that press the windows key and r, type cmd and in the box type ping and the ip of the xbox.

if you can find it in the xbox, and dont know where to look in the hub let us know and can go through in a bit more detail, what hub are youmusing too?

thanks

alan666
Grafter

Thanks, I am using the hub one.

Find below a screen shot of a ping from laptop to xbox. 

Thanks

MrSilver
Pro

Good! Thats what i would hope, rules out the hub/xbox

what games do you play online, i can see if i can find IPs for them to try running a traceroute too.

also maybe try running speedtest.net its first test is a latency test to the uk as well as speed. 

alan666
Grafter

Thanks for your time with this, I play infinite warfare, black ops 1, black ops 3 mainly, but also have trouble streaming pretty much anything with consistent buffering.

MrSilver
Pro

Thx. Just found this too

Press the Menu button on the Xbox One controller.
Select Settings.
Select Network.
Select Detailed Network Statistics.
The results should appear in a few moments.
Write down the following information from your speed test results:

Might be easier to photo the result and post from a phone?
alan666
Grafter

Yes this is the test I do on a regular basis, I will do that now.

alan666
Grafter

I am.now also showing low down speeds with that test.
alan666
Grafter

I would like to add that we have had problems for several months, the last problem (after a lot of live chat and calls) we were told there had been an order put on our line, ( why we dont know) this was sorted and we got our speeds back but have had this problem ever since.

MrSilver
Pro

Thanks. 

Assuming there wasn't anything else on the line at the time (ipads updating, PC streaming etc) then that download at peak times is most likely a fault.

The latency is fine for this test as I believe xbox test latency to a server in the US (209.170.124.114) and that time is about what i get too.

It will probably be easier to diagnose the issue from a PC.

Can you run in a cmd window 

tracert www.bbc.co.uk

tracert 31.204.138.47

that will show which bit of the network you are on and if there is any latency spikes in it.

With the speed being so slow I would also suggest going to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ run the speedtest, then do further diagnostics and then test 3 which needs you to change the usename in your router, do the test and change it back again.

Test 3 bypasses Plusnet totally and checks the speed of you line. it also saves the results so if its slow Plusnet can raise a fault against it.

but if you can run from a PC, ideally via ethernet and if possible with the hub in the main master socket with the phone extensions disconnected, that will rule out any in home wiring issues,

Worrying its been going on for so long though, without seeing the account its hard to see what has been done already so we may need one of the staff accounts to help on a few bits too 🙂

alan666
Grafter

Thanks again,

I do not have a pc in the house im afraid. When I have tried doing the bt wholesale further test 3 where you have to change user etc I get locked out ? I will try that again tomorrow . please find below the ping to bbc.co.uk. what is tracert ?

MrSilver
Pro

tracert is a command link ping, it traces the route to the server and all the steps inbetween to show if one is causing problems, e.g.

tracert www.bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.246.55]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 13 ms <1 ms <1 ms ZyXEL.Home [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms be3-3106.psb-ir02.plus.net [195.166.143.140]
5 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 195.99.125.138
6 12 ms 13 ms 13 ms peer2-et-2-1-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [62.172.103.21]
7 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 194.74.65.42
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms ae0.er02.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.90]
10 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 132.185.255.165
11 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms bbc-vip046.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.55]

Trace complete.

The btw test shouldnt lock you out, do you mean it stops you logging back into Plusnet after?

The pings all look good and normal so the traceroute isnt likely to show anything wrong at the moment, unfortunately the games you play are hosted on many different servers so it will be hard to run a test against one of them specifically.

MrSilver
Pro

@alan666 wrote:

I would like to add that we have had problems for several months, the last problem (after a lot of live chat and calls) we were told there had been an order put on our line, ( why we don't know) this was sorted and we got our speeds back but have had this problem ever since.

My guess on the order would be the new network, I am assuming the rate plusnet moved people they had to raise a modify order to move people, so that order to move you might have needed to be cancelled to diagnose the fault, i.e. btw may reject faults if there is an open order etc.

The traceroute will tell us if you are on the new network hopefully, if you have a static IP you will still be on whats called the BNGs, and they have been having some teething issues. If you dont need a static IP and have one it might be worth removing it as non BNG customers seem to have far less problems too.