cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss and High latency

alan666
Grafter

Re: Packet loss and High latency

The last tech guy I spoke ro mentioned that we should of had a static ip, how do i check to see if we do or not?
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Hi

If you go to http://portal.plus.net and log in, under "add-ons" at the top it will show you if you have a static ip or not.

If you aren't running your own webserver/mail platform id be surprised if you would need one, they have advantages of things like using think broadband's ping monitors but they were also used (if I remember the posts a while ago) to move people onto when the new network had teathing issues. They seem to be resolved now and the old BNG users are having more problems.

So if you don't need it I'd suggest either removing it or one of the staff on here can hopefully help and then carry on fixing if that doesn't resolve.

alan666
Grafter

No there is no static ip listed in add-ons.

Thanks

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@alan666

To see if you have a static IP goto https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection and click on the Static IP icon

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
alan666
Grafter

Thanks for that @SpendLessTime yes I have a static ip address.

I now remember calling PN as our speeds were less than half what we were supposed to be getting, the guy I spoke to [CSA Removed] checked our line and said that there was a problem and it should have been sorted weeks prior to the call I made, he said you would be fine now as you are on a static ip. He asked me to reset the router etc and we were back up and running at double the speeds we were getting, They actually gave us a free month internet for the inconvinience.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) CSA name removed as per Forum rules

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Attachment containing personal information removed.

alan666
Grafter

Would I be better off not having a static ip address ?

Thanks for all the help guys.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Would you be better off without a static IP?

No idea really. It might have nothing to do with your issue. 

You might want to get on the phone to Plusnet as no member of staff has posted to this thread.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
alan666
Grafter

To be perfectly honest we have had probably 6 major issues with our internet over the last 9 months, and I am seriously considering switching, our last 2 providers were sky and o2, and we never had these issues, and game play was def better with standard broadband from them. When you cant even stream a 720p movie without constant buffering is pretty bad for a so called pretty good fibre connection.

MrSilver
Pro

Understand, without seeing your account its hard to be 100% that not having a static IP would solve the problems, but from other posts I don't think it is helping at all. Hopefully we can help get your account stable as when its good its great 🙂

I have a 4k tv and watch a lot of Netflix content on there in 4k, so the network itself works, for some reason yours doesn't which hopefully can get resolved.

Did you manage to try the BTW speedtest test too?

MrSilver
Pro

Couple of other thoughts, for blacktops 3 at least

Can you take a photo of the network latency you get when you press the start button in game?

Then watch this video to confirm what type of NAT mode you are using, and then open the specific ports in the video to see if that improves anything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rOW9jTgudg

Not sure if the previous router you has had more open ports or anything, or it may be unrelated...

alan666
Grafter

I have all ports open (forwarded) for the games i play, on blackops 3 i got from 50ms to 400ms it was changing very quickly.
alan666
Grafter

My nat is open, just been checking ping in game for a few minutes and it differs from 34-400ms

MrSilver
Pro

hmm ok thanks..  Can you send me a PM on here with your IP and I can try and ping it from my pc to see if that is giving high latency or not

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

alan666
Grafter

My xbox one ip or ? Thanks

alan666
Grafter

message sent.