cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss

bradleydrewe

Packet Loss

Hello

Just got new Wi-Fi today and I wanted to play some games, but whenever I play a game like Fortnite, I'm gaining packet loss. My ping plotter information is located in the attachment.

3 REPLIES 3
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Packet Loss

Hi there @bradleydrewe welcome to the community forums.

It isn't unusual to see packet loss timeouts on hops 1-3 and 7-8 and it generally doesn't affect anything. Being as this isn't seemingly occurring across any other hops I'm not seeing any indication of an underlying issue.

To help get to the bottom of what's occurring:

Are you noticing these issues on a wired or wireless connection?

In addition is it just specific games/devices you're seeing this problem?

In terms of the effects of the packet loss you're seeing, what are the direct symptoms you're experiencing? slow speeds/latency?

With any future trace-routes or ping tests, we'd recommend using a dedicated address to test from. Sites such as google and bbc often have traffic management implementations which don't tend to provide accurate results. Try https://pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com

Drewe
Dabbler

(Sorry, I posted this on my other account)

Thanks for replying

I'm noticing them on a Wireless connection, as Wired isn't available for me right now

I'm only seeing packet loss on my PC, not my phone

No slowness, just latency

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Thanks for getting back to us @Drewe,

If you're only experiencing this issue on one device and it's on a wired connection, it might be worth giving some wireless troubleshooting a try if you haven't already. 

Coming from a gaming background myself I can't stress enough how gaming (unlike streaming that can buffer ahead or browsing that can load bits at a time) needs a constant connection so it can transfer small packets of data forward and back updating the game/server as to what actions your doing.

This meaning wireless which can be interfered by a huge number of things isn't ideal for gaming and I'd always suggest a wired connection over Ethernet cable wherever possible for a solid constant connection and if a trailing Ethernet cable isn't ideal to look into power line adapters as they use a houses electrical wiring to transfer a much more solid signal.