cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss

xRainex
Grafter

Re: Packet Loss

@chrizk They are active in the forums, but whether or not they choose to help with this is another question..

I too am on a static IP address, and I've read elsewhere on these forums that switching back to a dynamic one has fixed the issue for them. Having a static IP is not much of an issue for me so I may just give it a go to see if it changes anything, otherwise its just waiting for Plusnet Sad

chrizk
Dabbler

actually @Browni, how do you direct the ping to the nominated device?  I am only familiar with redirecting ports.

(I have never used the DMZ before)

chrizk
Dabbler

Sorry @xRainex, I feel like I have highjacked your post ....but, do you know if we have to keep paying PlusNet £5 each time we switch to/from static?

Admin fee(!) surely this can be automated (or even given as a standard feature)?!?!?

Craigy
Dabbler

Here's another image from my SamKnows WhiteBox showing pretty consistent UDP packet loss. Notice the sudden drop and increase that correlates with the ThinkBroadband graphs.

Screen Shot on 2016-11-09 at 16-05-39.png

xRainex
Grafter

No worries @chrizk! I'm not entirely sure to be honest with you, I've only ever switched to a static IP once, which was only because it was a workaround to a previous problem that Plusnet had with their network. I don't think there's any charge to switch back to dynamic, but I assume the £5 charge will be reapplied to go back to static.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@chrizk wrote:

actually @Browni, how do you direct the ping to the nominated device? 

Putting a device in the DMZ takes care of that.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

@xRainex wrote:

I don't think there's any charge to switch back to dynamic, but I assume the £5 charge will be reapplied to go back to static.

Correct on both counts.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I am on a dynamic IP and have the issue. So I agree with other posters, I am not convinced this issue is related to static versus dynamic IP addresses.

Riotlightbulb
Dabbler

I too was suffering packet loss over the last week or so. My thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/War-Thunder-Packet-Loss/td-p/1383255

I contacted plusnet last night and after looking at the ping plotter trace they admitted it was an internal fault with plus net. And i saved the transcript as proof.

I am currently ping plotting again and awating a responce on the tread as promised. I havent got a responce yet but iv pinged 500 times and no packet loss yet! a couple of little lag spikes on 1 router.

I will go game for a bit now and see if the problem comes back.

UPDATE: Packet loss still exists in game. but dont seem to be showing on ping plotter anymore. odd. Also it doesnt seem quite as bad as previous days.

kendo79
Dabbler

Same here, past couple of weeks latency online in games has been incredibly spiky and erratic at peak times (6- 11)

Also I'm getting only 21mb speed when I am paying for a 35mb connection, speedtests online have confirmed at various times that I am not getting that. I'm also not paying for this 3rd world internet with 2k lag spikes and constant buffering issues.

chrizk
Dabbler

Hi @Browni, sorry for the lack of response ...on Thursday 10th, I thought things were getting much better, and so I have been keeping an eye on it.  Over the last few days, although PS4 COD III has been consistently showing 'full' connectivity (it has 'signal bars, much like a mobile phone), I am getting terrible 'jitter' (not sure if that is a real networking word that I may be misusing).  My 'player' constantly jumps back a few steps, as though I am being 'replayed'.  I am assume this is because of packet loss, and the application 're-plotting' me.

I have placed the PS4 into the DMZ, and enabled a monitor on thinkbroadband, but the graph does not appear to be plotting anything.  When you mentioned that the DMZ takes care of 'all the ports etc', I assume I simply create the monitor with my 'Broadband network IP address' (static), and just let it run...any ideas why I am not getting anything plotted?  Do I have to wait minutes/hours to get my first graph, or have missed something?

I'm guessing that the graphic on http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html is just a still image, and I have to click on the link showing my configured monitor/IP address, which opens a separate window, showing a blank graph.

HA!  After the time I took to type this, I can see information being plotted.  I am going to leave this post as it is, as it may be informative to others trying to setup a monitor.

....BTW  ... it looks like I am getting 20% packet loss to my PS4!!  I will let it run for a while and paste it in...

chrizk
Dabbler

Hi @Craigy, how have things been?  You will see above that @Browni has been helping me setup a monitor.  As mentioned, I thought things were fine from 17/11, but things have become worse over the last few days.  Might be interesting to know if you have had the same behaviour.

chrizk
Dabbler

OK, here it is ...wow, anyone want to challenge me for consistently the worst dropped packets >20%?

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) removed screenshot as it had IP in it. 

chrizk
Dabbler

Here is another graph, showing the tail end of yesterday (complete loss ~9pm when I turned off PS4), and from 2pm today, at which point, I have wired the PS4 directly to the router.  Packet loss is slightly better, but still no way near acceptable.

I thought online gaming was better last night, but the statistics show it was >20% packet loss most of the time. Maximum latency was much better when wired directly.  I will have to move back to see if change is due to wiring to router, or if something has changed in the network.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/90e61f94e7dd61f129d77558ef6447fd-22-11-2016.html

(pasting in html link, hoping it will display in this thread rather than attaching a file ...that didn't work either ... @Browni/@Craigy, how do you past images straight into replies?)

Browni
Aspiring Hero

To get the images to show I copy the text from the html link and paste it into the html tab of the editor

htmledit.PNG

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet