cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss

xRainex
Grafter

Packet Loss

For the past week or two I've started noticing random packet loss, which is effecting online gaming and voice comms (TeamSpeak, Skype etc) and its becoming really frustrating. Not sure why this problem has started but I've noticed a few other people posting here about the exact same thing so I thought I'd add my problem to the pile and hopefully Plusnet can help out. 

I left MTR running for a good while so I'll attach the file below showing the packet loss.

Not had any loss in speeds or anything

32 REPLIES 32
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Packet Loss

I have noticed exactly the same thing. I notice it mainly when using VOIP. I previously had zero issues with this.

If I run ping tests I am dropping random packets.

I definitely think there is a problem here as I have had this fibre connection for nearly 2 years and never had packet loss issues before. The connection itself is rock solid and never drops, it is an issue of packet loss.

Plusnet - any comments on this please?

DWslider
Hooked

Same, it's getting infuriating and it's been with in the same time frame. My read is just as horrible. Think it's time to swap.

sebjo
Grafter

same here for over a week , random freeze / lag on game , my friends on mumble saying i'm laging , speed is good , when i do ping test , 0 packet loss but i think its more random packet loss then stabilize again , i have some jitter tonight ,i will reach out to them tomorrow

silkysean
Grafter

Same here, about a week too. It is soooo annoying. I lost a really decent character today on DayZ. I was in the middle of a firefight when the packet dropped, kicking me off the server and giving my enemy chance to kill me. It really p**sed me off.

chrizk
Dabbler

As I am new to PlusNet, can you tell me if their support staff actively participate in this forum, or are we just discussing this among ourselves without any hope of anything being done?

(you will see I have posted my experience using PS4 COD BO3, continually glitching and disconnects)

This appears to be the same behavior as you guys are reporting.  Could it be regional?  I am in Berkshire (RG)

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I am in the North of Scotland so if it is regional, it covers a very big region!

Craigy
Dabbler

I've been experiencing packet loss for the last few weeks as well... As you can see on the 7th, I was experiencing quite a bit of packet loss, then after the downtime (apparently this was an issue with the local network) the packet loss disappeared. The 8th was pretty similar, however after a resync today the packet loss is back. I also have a static IP - I've seen a few people say that this is causing issues.

07-11-2016 My Broadband Ping - Plusnet Fibre (80/20)08-11-2016 My Broadband Ping - Plusnet Fibre (80/20)

Today My Broadband Ping - Plusnet Fibre (80/20)

Moolapie
Dabbler

I'm on dynamic IP and getting the same problems so don't think it's limited to static IPs.

chrizk
Dabbler

Although I too have static, I think it is a red herring, as I only added it on Sunday, and have been experiencing this for a couple of weeks.

chrizk
Dabbler

Craigy, thanks for sharing your thinkbroadband quakity monitor graphs.  I was wondering how I could prove my experience, and it looks perfect.  I have setup a monitor but it appears I am getting 100% packet loss.  Did you have to configure the Plusnet router?

Craigy
Dabbler

@chrizk I don't use the Plusnet supplied router so I can't help with that I'm afraid Sad 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrizk - I've just read in another thread that some Plusnet routers do not respond to pings which may explain what you're seeing.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The Hub One does not respond to pings so cannot be used on it's own as a ping monitor, however, you can connect a device that will respond to pings such as a Now TV box, Amazon Fire etc and put it into the DMZ.

My TBB live monitor from a Now TV box...

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet
chrizk
Dabbler

Thanks @Browni, thinkbroadband came back to me really quickly and said the same thing, referencing the following article (no intention to use custom firmware ...at this stage...)

https://thecomputerperson.wordpress.com/2015/09/25/how-to-enable-wan-ping-on-the-plusnet-sagem-2704n...

Really disappointed that such a great monitor from thinkbroadband can't be used directly with Plusnet (it would have been nice and easy).

Great suggestion to use another device (annoyingly I will have to plug something straight into the router, which is currently using all Ethernet ports)

Not too keen to use DMZ, but 'needs must' ...come on PlusNet, why should I have to create a security loophole to workaround a restriction you force on us?