Did you mean: 

Packet Loss on Plusnet Servers

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Packet Loss on Plusnet Servers

@orangeman wrote <snipped>

this issue is fixed already

If you don't mind me asking, how did you fix it?

(it could help future readers)

orangeman
Grafter

Static ip

Ive had this issue with packet loss a few years ago i believe and i added a static ip and it routed different.

i left and came back since then so no longer had a static ip but the packet loss this time was due to there server which is hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks, my bad. I thought you were on a static and then on post 71 you wrote you were getting packet loss to your game server.

(thanks for the additional explanation too)

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

When we come back from the Easter break it would be nice if someone whos experiencing these issues and able to replicate them for us, could allow us to run some tests so we can rule out different bits of kit to see if we have a problem and if so where exactly it is.

Let us know if you're happy to help.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
JonoH
Hero

@orangeman are you still having issues? we'd love to run some tests whilst you played

Jono H
DS
Seasoned Champion

Just to chuck a spanner at all of this.

(sorry, but being totally honest)

I don't know what has happened at Plusnets end, if anything, but something has certainly changed here. If Plusnet have been tweaking things please 'fess up' so I can try and suss out if any of the following was also a potential fix.

My son has not been having any issues with any packet loss whilst gaming via PC, which being truthful is really odd and totally unexpected. As you'll know, were still on a dynamic IP. Some changes recently made here are:

• I've recently retired our PLA's and hardwired from our main router to our secondary router using Cat7 (rather expensive) ethernet cable. The PLA's were working fine, just thought it was time to hardwire and future proof our home network.
  • His original gaming PC went kaput during one of many connection drops, which the 'damage' caused must have been a coincidence, but we've recently built one that blows the old PC out the water (better MOBO, better CPU, same ram 16GB but different brand, better graphics card, new tower (means nothing), better PSU (slightly higher output), two highend monitors (means nothing, and yes more than one) and clearly the same games)
  • We've moved away from the PNH1 and have been using a BTSH6, which has certainly dropped the latency by 3-8ms on average across most hops
  • Hiper 137 and 141, which normally would not respond to ICMP requests have also been much better, oddly more often than not they give complete times which is a total reversal of the normal traceroute results

Regarding the routers, as well as a reduction in latency, the BTSH6 also connects to the Plusnet network at a far greater speed.

Also, other users doing what they do has not affected gaming either - so HD gaming and HD Netflix at the same time are no longer fighting one another.

Regarding our connection dropping, since all of the recent work by OR, our speed has gone from around 18Mbps (or lower) and 1.8Mbps (max) to around 32Mbps (ish) and 5.5Mbps(ish) respectively.

(32 and 5.5 are the speed results, not what the hub is showing)

I've also highlighted the section in bold as this was something I really think is important, is the PNH1 introducing the packet loss....?

JonoH
Hero

@DS wrote:

I don't know what has happened at Plusnets end, if anything, but something has certainly changed here. If Plusnet have been tweaking things please 'fess up' so I can try and suss out if any of the following was also a potential fix.

You don't run through the same data centre as the one we've made a change to. That's why I was 100% sure you weren't impacted by the problem we were investigating.

My son has not been having any issues with any packet loss whilst gaming via PC, which being truthful is really odd and totally unexpected.

Are we really investigating why you're not experiencing packet loss? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy 

is the PNH1 introducing the packet loss....?

It's possible yours was if it was faulty, however, I'm not aware of any issue impacting multiple users.

Jono H
DS
Seasoned Champion

You don't run through the same data centre as the one we've made a change to. That's why I was 100% sure you weren't impacted by the problem we were investigating.

Ah, now it's starting to come out. Is this one of your data centres (hence my link above) or another?

(if it is another, as long as it aint Telehouse, or Redbus or Global Switch then I'll be happy. If it is, then I worked on those...)

(plus a few others I don't think I can name as they (the owners) don't want others to know where they are actually located)

It's possible yours was if it was faulty, however, I'm not aware of any issue impacting multiple users.

Erm, actually that would be three of your routers then, my original went back after less than 12 months of use, then the second one 'failed' due to the latest software release and it's replacement is also collecting dust due to the latest software release. The latter 2 also gave issues for wired devices, not just wifi. BobP is aware of this on one of my threads.

(so 3 out of 3 were faulty? me thinks notTongue - poor modems perhaps or some known issues with previous software releases or something with the last software)

edit. My bad, link was on another thread, but here's what I was referring too - link

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Got any idea when it got better?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
DS
Seasoned Champion

No idea if you're asking me @Kelly because @JonoH wrote

That's why I was 100% sure you weren't impacted by the problem we were investigating.

So I have no idea if this issue relates to me but for most of yesterday my daughter was able to binge watch an entire series on Netflix (via our YV box, not hers in her room) whilst my son was gaming for most of the day (with other content streaming at the same time).

I was not home for all of yesterday, well not until about 9:30pm and after asking them how the internet has been they both said it's been fine (whereas I normally get moaned at every other day). Though the last OR engineer did reluctantly check behind the capping on the telegraph pole the other week after me highlighting it for YEARS and found some blue beans, which we know were never designed to run a BB connection, so this could have helped as could the BTSH6

But if you're saying I could be affected, then please let me know as these conflicts in info is really doing my head in!!;)

To clarify - we have 2xPNYV boxes, one subbed and the other (ours) for free stuff only, a wired XB in the living room (used to be used for gaming, but quit not long after joining PN), 2x smart TVs (one wired), multiple laptops and phones, newly built wired gaming PC, another wired XB and a wired XB1 (sometimes this one is used for gaming)) - I've retired the wired PS3 as gaming on this was also unplayable (again only had issues when we came to PN).

And yes, we have had issues with wired YV boxes too, so we stopped watching content on ours (Netflix for example) and let our son and daughter use most of the connection. I do sometimes watch YT (wired laptop) rather than normal TV and this (YT) has been hit and miss also, so not watched that much myself for a while.

JonoH
Hero

@DS wrote:

No idea if you're asking me @Kelly because @JonoH wrote

That's why I was 100% sure you weren't impacted by the problem we were investigating.

Well, this is embarrassing Cheesy  It appears I was misinformed and you were in fact connected to the impacted data centre. The improvements we made were from around lunchtime on the 18th of April, if this is about the time that your services improved, it's likely this was the cause.

My apologies for the mistake, I hope all is well now and if it isn't drop me a PM or start a new thread and we will continue trying to resolve the issues.

Jono H
DS
Seasoned Champion

@JonoH wrote:

Well, this is embarrassing Cheesy  It appears I was misinformed and you were in fact connected to the impacted data centre. The improvements we made were from around lunchtime on the 18th of April, if this is about the time that your services improved, it's likely this was the cause.

My apologies for the mistake, I hope all is well now and if it isn't drop me a PM or start a new thread and we will continue trying to resolve the issues.

Well knock me down with a feather duster Plusnet Hub One!!Shocked

You can only go by what you're told about, so I'll let you off Jono:)

Having just checked with those whom use the connection the most, I too have made a booboo. The kids (well late teens and early 20's but still my kids), but I can't say when for sure, as I had assumed one would game whilst the other did not go on Netflix, turns out both were gaming and streaming at the same time and have been doing so for about 1 week. I have made comments though on these very forums over the last week that even though the connection was in use I'd noticed a drop in latency, but at that time I thought it was my using of a BTSH6 - it actually drops the latency by around 8ms on average across most hops.

But now I think on it, since the last OR visit, they have been quiet (the kids that is) - so quiet that dare I say the combination of OR removing the blue beans, the swapping to a BTSH6, doing away with PLA's and your behind the scenes tinkering have finally, since joining Plusnet, actually made me, a happy bunny

(and the BTSH6 has maintained a connection for 9 Days, 5 Hours 33 Minutes)

Though, the biggest questions are...... what was it, where was it, will it likely happen again?

(but ya still confuddled the heck outta meKnuppel)

DS
Seasoned Champion

And for future reference, using wifi:

tracert pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com

Tracing route to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.164]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms 1 ms <1 ms bthub [192.168.1.254]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 10 ms 9 ms 8 ms 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.141]
4 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms 140.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.140]
5 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 195.99.125.142
6 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms peer8-et0-1-5.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.252.102]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 10 ms 10 ms 12 ms po4-31.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.85]
9 9 ms 9 ms 10 ms pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.164]

(though hopefully I'll not need to keep doing these.....)