Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss on Plusnet Servers

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Packet Loss on Plusnet Servers

@Kelly didn't say it wasn't responding to ping.  He said it is not prioritising responding to your ICMP packets.

Each bit of kit you see at each of those hops has a job to do.  Responding to pings will be one of those jobs (as that is enabled), but that wont be its main job. If its busy doing higher priority jobs then it might take longer to respond or the ping request might timeout and it not respond at all.

Looking at your ping plotter, if 141.hiper04 was loosing 55.6% of the packets going through it, then every hop after it would also be having packet loss as well, as the packets to the hops further down still travel through it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I've not looked to find it, but there was a Plusnet staffers response to another users post.

That poster provided 'evidence' that hop 3 had, in part, timed out.

The response from the staffer (I know who it is, but not dragging them on here) was that hop 3 indicated an issue. I only read it yesterday or the day before (thus the response was only a day or two old).

So, let me add another Q:

Why do I, almost every time, see parts of hop 3 time out? (primarily 137 hiper and 141 hiper but have seen others too)

(it has always done this for at least 2 years)

This issue is within the Plusnet network.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @FortKnox101 

As VPN looks to have resolved the issue, then potentially our next step would be to change your IP and see if it was the IP address you've been using for the last 5 days which may be behind the issue.

This can be achieved by a power cycle - just make sure you leave the router off long enough to connect to a new one. I had a go at this on my side via a Session Kill as it didn't look like you were using your connection at all, however, the new session connected to the same IP. 

Can you turn your router off tonight and turn it back in in the morning? This amount of downtime should flex you onto a new IP - once this happens let us know if the issue is still occurring. 

We can see when testing there are a few errors seconds effecting your connection, although only a few. If they flare up at times this could explain the reason for the packet loss/ping issues and we'd therefor advise getting the router in the optimal set-up solely to rule a number of internal factors out that could be behind this issue. Information on who to set up in your test socket can be found here

By all means if the issue persists in this set-up and after the new IP address we can be fairly confident it's something both external to the property and seemingly on our network as your first hops from devices to your router all seem fine at the moment.

If you can please run further testing/monitoring like you have once getting the new IP after the power cycle and let us know how it goes? 

Thanks, 

MoR

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Good call on next step.  @MasterOfReality / @Gandalf Give me a nudge if the static DOES fix things.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Kelly - Gandalf is off on an adventure (China I believe)  

DS
Seasoned Champion

just make sure you leave the router off long enough to connect to a new one

Can you turn your router off tonight and turn it back in in the morning?

From my understanding, the latter 'choice' is 65 minutes. It should then jump to a new IP address

(happy to be corrected)

Anyhoo, what about those whom don't want/need to use a VPN? Is there an issue inside the Plusnet network (as shown on hop 3). Having an answer would really help me, I may not be happy about it, but it would solve an issue I've, for 99.9% of the time, had.

(I'll start to hold my breath ....... now!)

(thought I'd write it in bold, in case my previous posts were hard to read;))

Kelly
Hero

I've just reread @MasterOfReality 's post and he's a bit incorrect here.  @MasterOfReality can you provide a free static IP for this customer please to see if that helps.  Leaving the router off for 65mins is unlikely to do anything here.

@DS if there was an issue, we need to fix it.  We wouldn't expect VPN to be a solution for customers.  

Kelly Dorset
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi  @DS - my reply was aimed at OP and his issue predominantly. 

From my understanding, the latter 'choice' is 65 minutes. It should then jump to a new IP address

(happy to be corrected)

There have been instance where 65 minutes of downtime has not resulted in a new IP - therefore I advised overnight to give the best possible chance of this happening. 

Anyhoo, what about those whom don't want/need to use a VPN? Is there an issue inside the Plusnet network (as shown on hop 3). Having an answer would really help me, I may not be happy about it, but it would solve an issue I've, for 99.9% of the time, had.

I'm unaware of an actual "issue" as such. I'm not able to state exactly what it is going on on Hop 3, but as soon as we get some more info we will share accordingly. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

DS
Seasoned Champion

My bad for 65 minsEmbarrassed

Did read that time limit on these forums though

if there was an issue

So there isn't then?

we need to fix it

If there's no issue, then what could you fix?

Or you think there is and you're busy fixing it?

(sorry about how this post comes across, held my breath a bit too long!Buck2)

edit.

MoR wrote

I'm unaware of an actual "issue" as such. I'm not able to state exactly what it is going on on Hop 3, but as soon as we get some more info we will share accordingly

Speak to one of your colleagues. He did tell another customer, who's tracerts mirror mine, that hop 3 highlighted an issue - have a dig around, you'll soon see the reply;)

Kelly
Hero

@MasterOfReality The 65 minutes thing doesn't work well any more.  The way the newer parts of the network work mean that you are very likely to get the same IP back, or one very close to it.  If we are trying to eliminate a problem with a specific IP block, this means you'll never get out of that block.  Instead, use a static ip. Smiley

Kelly Dorset
DS
Seasoned Champion

The 65 minutes thing doesn't work well any more.

That's useful to know. I thought that was still a way we could try jumping to a new IP.

Instead, use a static ip

Hmm, not a 'fan' myself, in case other gamers out there try to mess with your connection. Or is this something else we need not worry about on the new network? (I used to game, but no longer do, my lad has recently started back up though). When we both gamed it was not uncommon for idiots out there to ruin gameplay, where we'd then jump IP and go back in for another go. Yes I know we could VPN etc, but shouldn't need to imo.

(and yes, duly noted it was for MoR, but ya know)

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@FortKnox101 - I've had a brief offline chat with @Kelly and he has explained the full ins and outs of why my above advice wouldn't actually help in this situation. Following this chat I'm going to follow his advice.   

Allow me to apologise for elongating this thread/issue. 

I've added a Static to your account and end you a ticket & email with the info on how to active this and that the actual Static is. 

Please let us know if this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Kelly
Hero

@DS wrote

Hmm, not a 'fan' myself, in case other gamers out there try to mess with your connection. Or is this something else we need not worry about on the new network? (I used to game, but no longer do, my lad has recently started back up though). When we both gamed it was not uncommon for idiots out there to ruin gameplay, where we'd then jump IP and go back in for another go. Yes I know we could VPN etc, but shouldn't need to imo.

It's just for diagnostic purposes.

Kelly Dorset
DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for that @Kelly 

The penny has now dropped:)

(awaiting further info on 'hop3' and (if you're up for it) the bizarrely incorrectly allocated SafeGuard DNS issues, then maybe my connection will be better than ever....? The DNS issue has been reported, more than 3 times, but no fix offered)

FortKnox101
Grafter

Okay cool. Will test when I get home from work.

Will also get my friend to message in this post so you can take a look at his account too.