cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss 4pm to 10pm each day

Nalwoir
Dabbler

Re: Packet Loss 4pm to 10pm each day

How long do we have to put up with this shocking service before we can request that Plusnet releases us from our contracts? Unacceptable!

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

@Nalwoir what was the outcome of the fault you raised with plusnet?
sghughes42
Dabbler

That is a question I'd love an answer to!

I've been suffering terrible service for about 6 months now. Plusnet managed to con me in to signing up for 24 months on a recent house move so to cancel would mean a massive penalty but the service is barely usable at times. It's almost worth losing the money to get something that works.

Nalwoir
Dabbler

Closed and told it had been solved. I also requested a replacement for my router, which died a month after joining. This was not sent out, so I bought a replacement at personal cost. When I enquired about the new router, I was told that due to activity on my line I must have received it! Now the period to return the replacement router has ended, so I am stuck paying out of pocket to access plusnet's service!

Shocking customer service. Considering this package is advertised as 'perfect for gaming' and gaming is currently hellish, I am confused as to what we are paying for...

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Well engineer turned up today.... better late than never.

New Master socket... interleaving taken off... They now claim I should get a faster download .... but I don't!  min latency has now dropped but the spikes are now horrific....

You are currently connected to gateway psb-bng04.

This is located in Southbank Point of Presence.

SteveA
Pro

psb-bng04 is obviously not well.. Disconnected and got  psb-bng01 which was better. No packet loss until a huge spike at 6am this morning..... will see what happens later today

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The event at 6am on your graph is most likely a re-connection, possibly only the PPP, or both the VDSL2 and the PPP.

SteveA
Pro

Not a disconnect - checked the router, last reconnect was yesterday.

Speed has not changed.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Is there any chance your router keeps the PPP session going while the VDSL2 re-connects?

SteveA
Pro

I dont know... is there? This is just the default PN kit I'm using.

MrSilver
Pro

I'd assume as the ppp is on top of the vdsl link, if that drops the ppp will get taken down too, even if it didn't the ppp link would probably give up not getting and data and timeout.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I general, it's possible for a router to keep the PPP session going when the VDSL2 link re-connects, but devices aren't supposed to, especially ISP supplied devices, because the PPP re-connect is required for the new speed to be reported further up the system to set the IP profile (I think).

It might even explain a few things, for example, if your VDSL2 modem disconnects and re-connects at a lower speed, but without a PPP drop, then your IP profile might be too high, which might allow some packet loss. Then when you try a gateway hop to fix it, it's not actually a problem with the gateway, but it's re-connecting the PPP, which updates the IP profile, that fixes it.

Unfortunately, without any DSL stats from the modem, there isn't really any evidence to confirm that that is what's happening, and it's all just guesswork really.

SteveA
Pro

Unfortunately, without any DSL stats from the modem, there isn't really any evidence to confirm that that is what's happening, and it's all just guesswork really.

And PN don't allow you to get that when you have the OR Modem and their router

MrSilver
Pro

Not at home at the mo, but I thought under advanced settings you could see both connection and broadband on different tabs, giving ppp and dsl uptime.

In the event log you should also be able to filter on wan to see dsl retrains and connections too.
SteveA
Pro

not on the Technicolor TG582n