cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS4 - Call of Duty, Black Ops 3 - extremely bad connection, glitches and disconnects

chrizk
Dabbler

PS4 - Call of Duty, Black Ops 3 - extremely bad connection, glitches and disconnects

I have been using Sky Fibre for a couple of years without any problems.  I have just moved over to PlusNet fibre, and COD BO3 has become unusable over the last couple of weeks.  I continually get the disconnected prompt, which I have associated with people rage quitting and pulling the ethernet connection, but if I check the list of players, I see that MY connection is showing no 'bars' and is red, despite having 'full bars in green' at the start of the game.  I am also constantly glitching ...running around a corner, and suddenly finding I am several paces backwards and running into a wall.  Obviously, this makes it impossible to play (at least, without constantly being killed).

I haven't seen any mass complaints against PSN or Activision, so I am assuming that it us Plusnet, but how can I prove it and what can be done?  I don't like Sky as a company, but I am starting to regret leaving their stable/consistent service.

10 REPLIES 10
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: PS4 - Call of Duty, Black Ops 3 - extremely bad connection, glitches and disconnects

Are you connecting over wired or wireless?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
chrizk
Dabbler

Re: PS4 - Call of Duty, Black Ops 3 - extremely bad connection, glitches and disconnects

Wired, although using Devolo dLAN 500

(I should also add that this has been in-situ all the time with Sky without any problems)

Actually, I forgot the reason I was viewing PlusNet pages ...to find out what my upload speed should be.  Everything appears to relate to download.  I'm showing as 37Mbps, but no indication of upload.  When I did a PS4 test, I think it was coming out at ~22 download (which I am sure is fine), but I think it was 1.something upload.  Can this be checked, as perhaps this is the problem?  Coincidentally, I see Lee83 "Am I getting what I signed up for?" was saying the same thing, although I will have to check again this evening to see what the actual figures are.

chrizk
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler, I have just started the PS4 to 'Check internet Connection' ,,,,it is sowing Download 14.3Mbps(!) and Upload 634.4 kbps!*?!!!***!!!  That is terrible!

chrizk
Dabbler

Hi @MatthewWheeler, you asked if I was using Wifi, but I don't think I have had a response informing you that I use wired Develo's.  I also asked what upload speed I should expect, as I am generally getting much less than 1mbps on the PS4, although ~1 to 1.5 when connected directly to the hub, which still seems very low (I think I got up to 19MB on Sky).

NB I also use this for work, so I do need to upload as well!

My poor son is studying for his GCSE mocks, and last weekend was the last time he was allowed to play Fifa before the exams.  EA sports are running some sort of weekend tournaments to earn rewards, and he couldn't win any games last night (he really isn't that bad).  He said his opponent was going straight past him and wasn't having any problems.  Completely ruined his chances of earning rewards as he now has to study.  REALLY unhappy.

davenos
Rising Star

Plusnet only offer 38/2 and 80/20 packages so if your on the upto 38mbps package then you won't get a higher upload that what your currently getting(1.5mbps via a wired connection).

If you use the connection regularly for work then you may be in breach of the T&C's as only occasional work from home is allowed.

Nalwoir
Dabbler

This is most likely your problem: 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Continual-intermittent-dropped-packets/td-p/1381001

Come join us having a good ol' moan, and then despair for the remainder of your contract. You have been robbed, as have we all... 😞

chrizk
Dabbler

Thanks @davenos, I wonder why PlusNet support can't give such a straight answer in regard to upload.  No wonder they don't make it clear on the product pages ...2mbps, pretty useless.   I wonder how they measure the difference between occasional and regular.  More to the point, why(!).  I assume it isn't to do with VPN (which I use for non-work as well).  Perhaps it is down to the terrible upload speed.
@Nalwoir I think they are more in breach of contract for providing such a terrible service.  If this continues, I will be arguing the point, and may well go back to Sky ...never thought I would say that!  As for the advertising that brought me to PlusNet ....great customer service!?!?!?!  Even before I switched, I was on the phone for 35mins before anybody answered, and over an hour before my initial question was answered.  I have since phoned, and waited in queue for 15/20mins before getting through, and tried again today, but gave up (call and chat).  Hope they have stopped using flooding (water, not network) as an excuse.  Seems obvious to me that they have invested heavily in advertising, but not their core network or support.

davenos
Rising Star

@chrizk I've no idea why support didn't give you a straight answer but from my experience with Plusnet its not uncommon the same goes with Sky(if you do go back to Sky im one of the Community Oracles on their forum same username as here if you need any help).

The slowing down you've experience could be related to issues that where/possibly still are effecting customers and has been ongoing in one form or another since July, some of us are getting packet loss and slow throughput during peak hours and it has recently come back with avengeance.

The reason i mentioned a breach due to work use is so that if/when you contact Plusnet you either neglect to mention that usage or you mention its only occasional so you don't get in to any trouble.

blackwind

turn off UPnP in advanced setting in router since the PS4 use this feature and it dont work very well or at all. This fixed the disconnect issues for me so no harm giving it a try

chrizk
Dabbler

Just closing off this thread, as my problems were all related to packet loss, which is discussed under several threads in this forum.

Thanks to all those who contributed to this post.

(I have also updated Packet Loss, which includes detail on my packet loss statistics, and also so great advice from others on how to setup a monitor and display the results in this forum)