cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE is down after XX minutes uptime/PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: PPPoE is down after XX minutes uptime/PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Hi @Prawnyloks I'm sorry to see your speed has dropped again.

I've arranged for a DLM reset which should go through within the next 3 working days by the 21st April. We can't request a specific time although they're normally actioned in the early hours.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Re: PPPoE is down after XX minutes uptime/PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Thanks @Gandalf. Hopefully it will be in the early hours like you say. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Wow, that was a fast one!
Looks to have happened overnight, somewhere around 2am by the looks of things. Thanks @Gandalf.
vinyl_solution

@Prawnyloks

I have read with interest the problems that you have been having and I too have been having almost identical problems to your own for over a year (during both Plusnet and Sky contracts). Recently, I have been getting upwards of 10 line dropouts a day, every time with the message "PTM over DSL is down after XXX minutes uptime" and "PPPoE is down after XXX minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]". In the last year, the severity of this issue has come in peaks and troughs, but the last 2 months or so have been awful. I have had numerous BT visits in the past and at one stage, SKY/BT washed their hands of it and said there was nothing more they could do.

From what I gather from your recent posts I can see that you are just getting the speed drops now (which is frustrating enough of course), but it appears that your actual line dropouts have ceased. Can I ask what your actual fix was for the line dropouts or was it just a scattergun approach from numerous BT engineer visits and eventually it was fixed?

(Forgive me if you've already answered the above in a previous post).

Thanks!

Roadtorode
Dabbler

Not fixed. Mine still drops randomly with that error sequence about once per 36 hrs which is not frequent enough for PlusNet to worry about it. I have no speed deterioration. PITA when working at home using conferencing. takes about 7 minutes to recovery/re-log in
vinyl_solution

😞 Not good - though I think I would be in utopia if I had dropouts every 36 hours compared with what I am getting at present (not to undermine your issue of course).

@Prawnyloks What about your situation, if your line dropouts are now fixed, what actually was the resolution in the end?

Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Sorry @vinyl_solution , it's not really what you'd call fixed. It still drop out most nights, but usually in the early hours, so not so much of an issue in that way.  These drops cause my connection to think there is an issue and then the speed consequently drops, until eventually once I reach around half speed (approx 20mbps), I have to ask for another DLM reset.

Currently at around 25mbps again, so probably no too long before I'll need another 🤔

vinyl_solution

Thoroughly disheartening and I feel your pain. Mine falls over at any part of the day, no pattern at all (5 times during today alone). From what you have said, it seems like you have resigned yourself to living with this problem now? Have PlusNet/BT not given any clues as to what could be causing the intermittency?

Can I also ask if you are in a rural/semi rural location (I am)? And do you know how far from the exchange you are? (I am 1.2km)

I have just run a speed test (fast.com) and my speed today has dropped to a ridiculous 11mbps

Roadtorode
Dabbler

I have just accepted it. I’m rural/semi rural and a few miles from the exchange but get high 30s. It would be fine if it were always up!
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

I have pretty much resigned myself to the situation for now at least. Nobody has told me the actual cause, though the last engineer pretty much agreed that it’s likely to be at least partly caused by the fact that my street cabinet is now full, and I’m in one of the dodgy spots. Openreach don’t seem to want to spend anything on these sorts of issues. My guess is eventually FTTP should sort my issues out, but betting I’ll be waiting for ages before that arrives in my area.
I’m in the suburbs between Leeds and Bradford, so not semi rural, but we were missed out when cable was installed many years ago.
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Hi @Gandalf or someone on the team,

I received an email the other day alerting me to the fact that my contract will end soon and that the price will raise after 13th of June if I don't renew using the new offer sent to me, please see this copied in below.

I would like to discuss what my options are please, as I still have the ongoing issues within this thread. I have already been released from contract once, so not sure what should happen here? Obviously I shouldn’t expect to pay more for the service that I already have issues with.

Please let me know the best way to move forward.

--------

"Your broadband (Unlimited Fibre) and line rental contract is coming to an end on 13th June 2020.

When your contract ends your monthly price will go from £24.98 to £31.65.

But don't worry, we have some great offers for you - even new customers can't get better. Take advantage of one of these deals to continue getting the great value award-winning service from us at Plusnet. Once you get to the end of your contract, you can leave free of charge, and either switch to another provider or cancel your service by giving us 14 days' notice. If you'd like to talk to us about your options give us a call on 0800 587 1943 or check out your exclusive deals below.

Services included as part of your contract

--------

- Average download speeds of 36Mb

- Calls to Plusnet landlines

Take a look at the end of the email for a list of the services you have because you're a Plusnet customer.

Our best price - get the same great deal as new customers

--------

Get fixed price Unlimited Fibre broadband and line rental for just £23.99 a month. 12 month contract. 

Fixed priced means you're guaranteed no price rises on your broadband or line rental for your entire contract.

Link to renew

We'll always do you proud and contact you at the end of your contract to help make sure you're on the best plan for you.

Don't forget the other great perks of being a Plusnet customer

--------

- Average download speeds of 36Mb

- Special offers as a Plusnet Mobile customer

- Multi award-winning UK based customer service

- Online parental controls

- Email address 

- Calls to other Plusnet landline customers

- Caller Display and Call Protect

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hello @Prawnyloks Smiley I can see that @Gandalf dealt with your broadband issue recently here. But we haven't heard anything about it on that link since then, I would suggest speaking with the Customer Options Team in relation to your query.

They are contactable directly on 0800 013 2632 and they are open between the following hours:

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Hi @tinytaco, @Gandalf probably is the most aware of my case, along with @MatthewWheeler. My situation is unresolvable and I have to ask for resets every month or 2, just to keep things just about ok. I guess if neither of these guys can come back to me soon, then I’ll make a phone call when I get enough free time. Cheers for getting back to me all the same.
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@Prawnyloks No problem, sorry we cannot help you any further at the moment. Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Don’t worry @tinytaco. This isn’t getting resolved, PlusNet have already admitted this. It has been going on for around 18 month or so. I will call to talk to someone in a few days regarding my contract. I don’t need an engineer.