cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE is down after XX minutes uptime/PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Re: PPPoE is down after XX minutes uptime/PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Ok, I'll give it 2 more days, but I'm afraid sending out an engineer isn't likely to help if they've not actually performed the reset. Surely to goodness someone can actually talk to someone else that actually knows if its been or is going to be done? PlusNet are supposed to be in the business of communications after all!

I'm not prepared to have an engineer visit at this point just to have my line reset when its been done remotely perfectly multiple times before. Unless of course someone can convince me that theres actually some sort of fault going on here!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: PPPoE is down after XX minutes uptime/PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Thanks for getting back to us @Prawnyloks 

I understand the frustration however we don't get any feedback on the remote DLM resets we send off.

I kind of disagree that arranging an engineer won't fix the problem, because it really will.

At the very least they'd be able to carry out a DLM reset themselves if not actually investigate further as there'd be something causing your speeds to drop down. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

@Gandalf to be fair you may be right, it could fix the issue, like you say they could reset the line manually.

I would rather another remote reset request sent though, in case the last one slipped through, before inconveniencing us by having to wait for yet another engineer visit.

Hopefully they're just being extremely slow though and none of this will be necessary. I've had many remote resets done previously, and none have taken more than a day.

I guess I will report back yet again on Thursday.

Btw, will I be paying half price for my half speed broadband this month?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @Prawnyloks 

The request for a remote reset was definitely added to the tracker on Sunday, it's just to early to see if it's worked to be honest. We send off the tracker to our suppliers at the end of each working day, sometimes it's every 2 working days depending on if there's any delays and the reset is normally then actioned the next working day however it's generally not instant.

With regards to your bill we don't normally refund for speed faults as there's been no loss of service but depending on how long this goes on for I'm sure we'd be able to look at a one off gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Ok @Gandalf. I’ll review again on Thursday.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sounds good, I'm sorry again for the issues and there's just no easier way to fix this.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Hi again @Gandalf. Didn't have to wait till Thursday in the end. Looks like the reset happened around 16:07 according to the router logs. All reset back at 39998 kbps down and 9666 kbps up. In reality I'm getting 35252 kbps down and 8913 kbps up hardwired, so I'm happy enough with that. Just a shame it's unlikely to stay quite so high for too long, but hey ho!

Hopefully it won't drop too drastically, too quickly though, and I don't and up back here asking the same question again too quickly either. With that in mind would someone please add a note to my account stating exactly what was some this time for any further incidents like this? Hopefully that way it might be a little less painful if/when I do ask again.

Thanks for your help with this unfortunate situation.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Prawnyloks thanks for the update, that's a relief and good to see!

I can't guarantee we'd be able to arrange a DLM reset again the next time as it may not meet the criteria for example your connection may be dropping. Hopefully your speeds stay up and stable though.

Feel free to post back if you do get the same issue, we'll be happy to review this again and arrange the DLM reset if we can.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

If and when it happens again it will be because my connection has been dropping. This is unfortunately an on going issue, which is why I've been released from contract. Please see notes again that should be attached to my account in the last and continually open question. This is something that Openreach won't fix for whatever reason after supposedly trying everything they can. This has been pretty much admitted by PlusNet, and why I'm released from contract. Hopefully though it won't drop quite so low for some time yet. I'm quite aware of how the problem goes by now, I've had plenty of practice 😉

We do unfortunately have to keep going round in circles. Matt is pretty much aware of the situation.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Prawnyloks I’ll keep my fingers crossed everything stays as it should be moving forward!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Roadtorode
Dabbler

Oh dear.  I have the same recurring problem.  Are we saying its "tough" and not fixable?

Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Hi @ Roadtorode. For me at least this doesn’t seem to be fixable at the moment. I find things can sometimes stabilise anywhere between to early 30,000 mbps and 25,000. Although it has dropped as low as around 22,000. So periodically I need to request a line reset.

The frustrating thing is that it was “fixed” and very stable at around 40,000 mbps for well over a month after I managed to get a lift and shift to a better spot in the cabinet. This was until, I suspect, the cabinet then became full. The next engineer to visit could no longer move me to another spot for this very reason.

So, unfortunately it seems that until technology changes in the not too distant future, I’m stuck with Openreach’s cr*ppy network as there is no fibre option in my area. They seem to be simply over subscribed where I am, and unwilling to spend money on something that will no doubt soon be old technology!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@Roadtorode Sorry to hear that you're having connection issues. I've tested your line and I can see the connection is dropping but our tests aren't showing a cause. I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can look into this further

@ Prawnyloks Sorry to hear you're still having issues. We've tested your line and we can see that whilst the line is dropping most of the drops are occurring before 6 am as per the below graph which is often when our suppliers carry out maintenance. Can you advise if you're experiencing more drops then what's shown below?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Hi @MatthewWheeler. I hope you’re well!

I can confirm that my drops are all around the early hours of the morning. Generally between 1am and 4am. They happen most days, but miss one or two every now and then. I must admit my thoughts were that this could be some sort of automated maintenance as the timings are fairly consistent. Trouble is it makes my router, previously a PlusNet one, currently Netgear, think there’s a problem and consequently my speed reduces. Changing routers didn’t help much although maybe reboots occur fractionally less often.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to me @Prawnyloks

Glad to hear that the drops you're experiencing match up with the graph above.

With regards to the speeds dropping are you referring to throughput speed or sync speed?

If the drops are due to maintenance it doesn't matter what router you use as it'll be affected regardless

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team