cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE is down after XX minutes uptime/PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: PPPoE is down after XX minutes uptime/PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Thanks for getting back to us @Prawnyloks 

@Prawnyloks wrote:
Please at the very least request the remote DML reset. 

I'm afraid that a DLM reset can only be requested on a fibre line if there's banding on your line.

Should there be no banding, then there'd ultimately be nothing for us to request. For example, when we submit a request we have to provide the current banding and the desired banding.

Having said that, in this case what's odd is that there's no banding showing on the test I've run now. If you could leave this with me I'd like to wait until a colleague gets in the office to check the banding on the line through a different system.

We should then be in a position to advise definitively whether a DLM reset can be requested.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Re: PPPoE is down after XX minutes uptime/PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Gandalf thanks for looking into this for me.
I’m at work, so can’t do anything myself for a while.
I think there may have been a mention of removing banding when I was released from contract. Unfortunately though, I still keep needing these resets every once in a while. It’s not ideal, but so long as that’s all I have to deal with, I can live with it for now.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Prawnyloks 

No problem. Unfortunately I've found out that my colleague (@MatthewWheeler) I was waiting to come into the office today is actually on annual leave all week until this weekend, so we won't be able to check the other system until then (It's not an everyday system and something we'd rarely if ever need to use)

Having said that it's a good possibility your speeds aren't restricted artificially, because your current sync speed of 21.3mbps isn't a banded profile. So we've got two options, we can either wait until this weekend and check and arrange a DLM reset if your speeds are restricted by any banding, or we can arrange an engineer visit sooner to investigate further.

It's worth noting that if we go for option 1 and your speeds aren't restricted when we check this weekend, then the next step ultimately will still be an engineer visit I'm afraid.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Thanks a lot for getting back to me @Gandalf.
Tbh, I may as well wait till your college is back. He's the guy that's dealt with stuff for me mainly anyway. If needs be we'll deal with an engineer visit if it's actually necessary. Keeping my fingers crossed, as I don't really have any spare time at the mo🤞🏼

Edit: Ticket updated btw.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @Prawnyloks 

Hopefully it’s good news this weekend!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

@Gandalf , @MatthewWheeler anything to report?

I have loads to do today, but if you let me know, I'll try reboot my router if needed when I get the opportunity.

Keeping everything crossed 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Prawnyloks Just got into the office now and it's good news. We're seeing your line speeds to be artificially restricted to 22.4mbps so we're submitting the request for a remote DLM reset which should go through within 48 hours.

Let us know how your speeds look next week. Hope the rest of your day goes well!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Thanks @Gandalf. Hopefully this is currently underway?
I just tried to reply and realised I’m completely offline at the mo (currently on mobile). Is it possible they’re doing it now? If so how long should I give it before try reboot my router?
Can’t even get to my Netgear page at the minute, so guessing a full reboot will be required.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Prawnyloks 

I'm afraid that it won't be underway until tomorrow at the earliest although I'd allow 48 hours for this. You should need to reboot your router once your line has been reset as I'd expect the reset to cause your connection to drop.

If you can't access your router homepage, that seems to suggest something's an issue a bit more locally but hopefully a reboot will fix that. Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Ok @Gandalf . Not sure if maybe they've done something now or not. Do they let you know once the DLM has been done?

I had to reboot the router to get back online. I wasn't getting anything at all. Couldn't even access the Netgear page manually as normal, which did seem odd as not something I've ever encountered before. Anyway, I'm back up, but nothing has changed yet. Still stuck at 22.4 for now.

If someone can let me know when to reboot I'd appreciate it. Don't really want to keep trying on the off-chance as that's likely to fool the system into thinking I have problems again and start the downwards spiral all over again 😱

Btw, I seem to remember that @MatthewWheeler had to do an extra tweak the last time after the DLM happened to get me back up to speed. Might be worth bearing in mind.

Hopefully between us all we can get things sorted out soon🤞🏼👍🏼

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Prawnyloks wrote:

Ok @Gandalf . Not sure if maybe they've done something now or not. Do they let you know once the DLM has been done?

I'm afraid not, we'd just need to check back and retest. Due to the how we'd request a remote DLM reset it won't be done today as we'd send them off in bulk to our suppliers on a working day and they'd action them the next working day.

I had to reboot the router to get back online. I wasn't getting anything at all. Couldn't even access the Netgear page manually as normal, which did seem odd as not something I've ever encountered before. Anyway, I'm back up, but nothing has changed yet. Still stuck at 22.4 for now.

At least you're back up and running now!

If someone can let me know when to reboot I'd appreciate it. Don't really want to keep trying on the off-chance as that's likely to fool the system into thinking I have problems again and start the downwards spiral all over again 

Absolutely, I'll check on Tuesday and I'll let you know if it's gone through, although you shouldn't need to reboot your router regardless as the reset should effectively do this for you.

Btw, I seem to remember that @MatthewWheeler had to do an extra tweak the last time after the DLM happened to get me back up to speed. Might be worth bearing in mind.

Yup, I've already made that tweak in anticipation of the DLM reset going through within the next couple of days. If the profile on your account drops before the reset goes through, I'll do the tweak again.

Hopefully between us all we can get things sorted out soon

Fingers crossed!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Ok @Gandalf. Let’s see what happens on Tuesday. Internet was down again this evening and had to reboot again. Let’s just hope this is nothing new!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hopefully, we'll see how things go

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Hi again @Gandalf and @MatthewWheeler. It's now 2 working days since the DLM reset was requested, and after just performing another reboot (just in case) nothing has changed. Unfortunately I'm still stuck at 22.4mbps!

Has the reset been actually been done, or is there something else at your end that still needs doing?

Hoping we can get this mopped up soon as I'm putting off jobs I really need to get done online!

*Edited to say I've also updated my support ticket with this information.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Prawnyloks I'm sorry to see your speeds are still slow. Unfortunately there's no way for us to track the progress of a DLM reset however given that the reset 'tracker' would've been sent over to our suppliers at the end of yesterday, I'd recommend allowing a couple more days for it to go through because the next step would be engineer if it doesn't I'm afraid.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet