Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE disconnected

FIXED
ukmm
Hooked

PPPoE disconnected

Moved to plusnet from BT, went live yesterday. Like-for-like products, normally syncs at 80/20 with low latency to UK/EU.

Since the switch was confirmed active I have not had a broadband connection: it was working perfectly up until BT cut it off on Thursday.

I've tried:

Openreach ECI modem (DSL light solid)

with 2 different routers supporting PPPoE/VDSL

and separately the Plusnet Hub One.

According to tech support the error they see on their end is that I'm providing the incorrect password. They changed it for me, and I've since changed again. Still not working with any combination of hardware.

Apparently I now have to wait for a new router! What good is a new router when 3 perfectly adequate ones cannot connect?? 

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: PPPoE disconnected

Fix

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting to the internet following transferring your services to us.

I've done some maintenance on the automatic setup tool which is used for Plusnet routers to communicate with our servers. Could you connect the router we sent you then do a factory reset of it by pushing a paperclip into the reset hole at the back for 20 seconds letting us know how it goes? -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ukmm
Hooked

Thanks for responding.

After following your instructions the router finishes at blue power light, BB indicator off.

Settings shows that it has correctly loaded my username.

Now connected to the internet. I'll try my own router a bit later.

Thank you for your help. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Glad to hear you're up and running now!

Sorry that the advisers you spoke to previously didn't try this.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ukmm
Hooked

I've tried my own router but it is steadfastly refusing to connect; it's going through the ECI modem.

PPPoE settings: vlan 101, mtu 1500, user/pass as plusnet account login details. Refuses everytime.

Currently got hub one going through the ECI modem, so I know there's no problem with that.

Can't alter the DNS settings on the hub one?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Why is the Hub 1 going through the ECI modem, it has an in built VDSL modem.?

When you followed the instructions, the Hub 1 will have gone back to default mode, and username "setup@plusnet.com" or similar, then the PN system would have changed the username and password to your latest version. It sounds like you are not replicating the details in your own router.

ukmm
Hooked

I wanted to be satisfied that the modem wasn't the weak link. So I've run the hub one both direct and through the modem.

Your analysis is pretty much what I would say myself. I've been thru the setup over 10 times now. Correct username and password. Double checked by logging into my account. Not a faulty keyboard or caps lock.

I probably won't get chance until the weekend but next step is reset my router and setup from scratch. Never had this trouble before, always been a simple credential update...
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Maybe your router does not like the username or passoword combination ?

ukmm
Hooked

I'm not sure what the issue was.

This AM, factory reset my router (TG589VAC). I changed the PPPoE settings; on the third time it was able to authorise successfully. Strange that it didn't work first time. I've been through 3 transfers, each time just a simple change of PPPoE details. Anyway, happy to get my hardware online again.