cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP1 down at the exact same time everyday?

spat55
Dabbler

PPP1 down at the exact same time everyday?

I've had this weird issue for the last week where exactly at 22:12:11 I get a PPP1 down error, now the line stays up but this error is causing me to lose connection for a minute which is inconvenient, any ideas what this could be?

13 REPLIES 13
spat55
Dabbler

Re: PPP1 down at the exact same time everyday?

Just had another PPP1 LCP down error, this time oddly it's just under an hour later. Could this possibly be a DNS issue? Decided to change to Google DNS servers for now just to see.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

We've tested your line and we've been unable to find any cause for this.

Can you log into your router by going to http://192.168.1.254 and advise what the firmware version is showing as?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
spat55
Dabbler

Reinstalled the Plusnet Hub from the TP-Link Archer VR900 and still getting this dropout at the exact same time of day every night at 10:15pm, the line stays connected but get a PPP error.

The Firmware on this Hub is 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @spat55, thanks for coming back to us.

With the disconnection happening at such a specific time of the day, it certainly points to something happening at that time.

Do you have any alarm systems, automated heating systems or anything like that which kicks in at 22:15(ish) daily?

spat55
Dabbler

Nope nothing like that, I factory reset the VR 900 as a test before putting the Plusnet Hub back in, it's still doing it (Both the VR900 before and after factory reset). I haven't factory reset the Plusnet Hub yet though but considering I did that with the VR 900 I didn't feel their was any point, although I can if you think it's worth trying.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @spat55, thanks for getting back to me.

The key thing here is to locate exactly what's causing this daily drop. With it being such a specific time, something has to be triggering the interference.

You may not know, (I definitely wouldn't) but do you know if any of your neighbours has recently had a remotely operated system put in as described above?

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I haven't factory reset the Plusnet Hub yet though but considering I did that with the VR 900 I didn't feel their was any point, although I can if you think it's worth trying.

In my honest opinion, as long as you've not made any user made changes, I would do this first.

If you've made any user made changes, you can always back up your settings and restore them after the reset.

With it powered up and connected to the phone line, press and hold the reset button on the rear of the hub (using a pen/drawing pin) for roughly 20 seconds until the blue light goes amber, then release it, give it 5 minutes and see if it still drops at the same time.

Then the 'hunt' begins!!

spat55
Dabbler

Just dropped out at the same time as usual so factory reset the Hub, be interesting to see if it happens again, I've noticed we had a couple of dropouts today one at 9am and one at 11am which is different.

DS
Seasoned Champion

You could do with a radius graph being popped on here, possibly a GEA test too.

So it's a case of waiting...

Is the phone socket near anything electrical?

Were you in to see the drops, or did you find them in the event log?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @spat55

Last seven days of your connection here.

I agree that there were additional drops yesterday, however the main issue still seems to be centred around whatever is causing the routine drop at around 10:15pm.

I've tested your line and there are no external faults being detected, so its likely that whatever is causing your drops in connection is either within your premises, or, very nearby.

We can of course escalate this to our suppliers, however, my concern at the moment is that the issue does not lie within the BT Wholesale network, so any engineer we send is likely to find no fault and you may be charged for the call out - obviously we'd like to avoid this if possible.

Keep an eye on the connection for now and try to eliminate anything else in your premises/boundary of your property that may be causing this.

Best wishes

Dave

DS
Seasoned Champion

It's almost like a timer of some sort, as it's virtually (as you've mentioned) at the exact same time!! Crazy2

But the graph is helpful too - who was in at just after 5pm on the 18/03/19 - possibly your house alarm system (that could be on the phone line too) does an E.T every 24 hrs.

spat55
Dabbler

Out of interest I changed back to the VR900 (as it's better and using the Hub one didn't help) thought I'd turn off the wi-fi and just run it on ethernet from 10pm-10:15pm and it still dropped, I can't think of anything in house that would affect this now, got any ideas what we can do to fix this?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@spat55,

This web page might be of some use to help understand what it could be that might be causing the problem. 

Is the phone socket currently used the master socket, if not then I'd probably suggest stripping back to the master socket, and eventually the test socket behind the face plate. Just to isolate any internal wiring as best we can.