Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP termination requests

Caracul
Hooked

PPP termination requests

Hi,

I've done a fair amount of research over the past few hours... Hence the late post time. I'm a allow aware that PPP LCP Send Termination Request are simply symptomatic of the connection being terminated.

My issue is that this is Day 1 of my connection with plusnet. I have had, as far as I can count, 13 disconnects over the last 6 hours. The connection simply fails. I left Talktalk for plusnet because of them not sorting the issue. It seems to have followed me.

I've started a fault request, but any insights the Mods can give me would be gratefully received.

Cheers
James
14 REPLIES 14
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: PPP termination requests

Hi there,

Welcome to Plusnet. Sorry that you're having connection issues. Looking at the connection logs it was extremely intermittent yesterday and early hours this morning but has stablised since:

Line tests are showing:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 15.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1661.9
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Profile Name 0.128M-35M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-07-19T15:00:00

Which isn't detecting obvious issues. Is there any noise on your phone line at all?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Caracul
Hooked

Hi Chris,

Thanks for helping me out with this.  I did the quiet line test as best as I was able:

1. On a wireless handset (thats all we have) picked it up, dialled 17070 and placed the call.
  2. Selected Option 2 for quiet line test.
  3. Heard nothing (after "Quiet Line test")
  4. This wasnt done when plugged into the test circuit, but Im assuming that with it being quiet, I don't need to try that.

I was under the impression that you would hear the dial tone...but on further reading it should be silent.

It was clear, no clicks, noises or distortion.  As you say, I've been checking the logs fairly closely and I agree completely (unsurprisingly - but always worth checking) that there have been no resets.  However, I've had this happen with TalkTalk for a while so I hope you understand my heart sinking when on the first day it happened with Plusnet.

I'll leave it for now, hopefully it was simply an initial setup - line swap over peculiarity?  If it does return, at least there is this initial record anyway.  In the mean time, if the problem does come back again, any suggestions of what to try to whittle down the problem or help ease it?  A noise test when its happening?  The router is on the floor, but isnt getting warm.  The only circuitry nearby is a Hive Hub and a SamKnows whitebox - neither emitting huge RF signatures.

As I said, thanks for checking anyway - Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

James

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I could be wrong, but the disconnects in the RADIUS shot up there looks like it's been dropping every 10 minutes.  I'd be interested to see what happens overnight and at the same times tomorrow morning.

Chris
Legend

As @notmyname suggests, the disconnections do look very regularly spaced out rather than completely at random. This may sound odd, but next time this happens you can check for REIN (Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise) by tuning an AM/MW radio to 612Khz and walking around near devices with it to see if anything increases the interference/noise.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Caracul
Hooked

Thanks guys,

It's been stable since 04:23 tuesday morning, so hopefully it was just teething issues, but I'll keep watching and try and borrow a radio from someone if the fault reappears.

In terms of regularity, I think it's just because it was happening so often, the times were random (24m, 3m, 9m, 5m, 16m for the last five).

One thought, whilst the broadband was active and I'd had an email saying all set up and ready, I got a later email saying my phone was now ready. Is that likely to be of consequence?

Once again thanks.
Chris
Legend

Confirmation of the phone order completing shouldn't have any influence on the connection status of the line.

Do let us know if you start to experience further issues.

Caracul
Hooked

Well, possibly speaking too soon.  3 disconnects within the last two hours.  I don't have a radio to hand so may have to borrow one if this continues.

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Chris Could we get another visual RADIUS shot as of today?
Caracul
Hooked

Yup, definitely still an issue. It was up for 15 hours and then disconnected after 19m, 19m, 4m and 4m.

I don't have a transistor radio, so like I said, I'll have to borrow one. In the meantime, from what I've read REIN is very hard to narrow down the source, and also fix. Are there other things to check?

Would the Radius show issues if it was done when the problem was occurring? Or if it says the line is ok, is that a binary status - it either is or it isn't.
Caracul
Hooked

I've been away for the weekend, and on getting back, it has continued throughout the time we have been away.  Also still happening now.  This isn't an issue with the Homehub as it happened with a TP-Link VR600 as well.  All electrical equipment near the router has been unplugged.

Tearing my hair out because I had hoped that switching providers would solve it.  I've raised a fault via the website, but any ideas gratefully received.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

The connection drops still seem to be occurring.

Our faults team should pick up your ticket this week.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Caracul
Hooked

I'm only posting as I find it frustrating when I come across a similar issue to mine in a search and then never find out the resolution.

Great chap from plusnet has been in touch with understanding and also when needed simple terms. I'm trying to whittle it down to if anything internal to the house is causing this... I'm hoping that it is the 4 gang extension lead.

With just the router plugged into a separate power source, it's been stable for 4 days. I have to have the Hive heating plugged in, so that's next to see if there is any change. After that it's the Sam Knows whitebox, and then finally the extension.

Hopefully there will be no drops until I plug the extension in, and then sporadic drops again... I'll update in a couple of days.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Keep us posted on this.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Caracul
Hooked

Well this is strange.

Now I can't get the fault to occur again at all! That's usually a good thing, but with nothing being changed, I am obviously expecting it to reoccur at some point. I've changed all the power source back to using the 4 gang extension and all other items on that too. If nothing changes I'd guess it's fixed. But I don't know why!