cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP speed very slow, even with 80/20 sync speeds

FIXED
epsukltd

PPP speed very slow, even with 80/20 sync speeds

We have 80/20 sync speeds, and it has been like this for ages, and totally stable since we had our last line fault, which was fixed. We always got pretty much 80/20 speed on all speed tests. Recently we cannot get higher than 20M download, and a speed test shows 20/20 speeds. We have even tried going directly to the modem with a PC running PPPoE, and still got 20/20M on speed tests.

We raised a ticket with support regarding PPP speed, but they simply tested the line, and obviously got 80/20 sync, then tried to say there was no fault! Do the support people know the difference between sync and PPP speeds?!?

We are currently trying to get some movement out of Plusnet to get our line going at download and upload speeds it is capable of. Yes we have full speed sync, but that DOES NOT mean that the PPP speed is okay!

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: PPP speed very slow, even with 80/20 sync speeds

Do you have a static IP by any chance ?

If so it's possible that the Plusnet line profile has stuck at a low value from the previous fault. Unfortunately you can't easily see it anymore, the link from the member centre has been removed. Many CSC support staff won't be aware of it since it isn't used by most connections anymore, but accounts with static IPs do still use it.

Hopefully one of the PN team will be along shortly to confirm whether this is your problem and correct the profile.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

epsukltd

Yes we have a static IP. However, the line has worked at full speed since we had the fault, but I suppose it could still be the issue that we have become stuck on a slow profile.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Fix

Hi there, I've just looked into this and I have both some face-palming and apologising to do. 

I noticed straight away the account was set on the wrong speed profile, that should have been the first thing we checked so I'm really sorry about that. 

Feedback has been passed on for the agent that initially responded and I've fixed the issue. 

Do please shout up if there's anything else we can help with. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
epsukltd

Thanks Adam, I thought it must be something like a profile got stuck.

Thank you for fixing it, we will monitor the line, and hopefully not have any more issues.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No problem at all! Smiley 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team